Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-02-2011, 09:05 PM   #1 
jschristian44

Tried everything, what am I doing wrong

This is probably going to be my last post on this. I bought another set of breeding females and tried again. Well you all knew I would. But I conditioned the male and the females at the same time, introduced them in a glass container for a few days and released the female when she looked ready and the male had a big bubble nest. They just fought and fought and never spawned. I left them in for like a day, etc. Then I saw my male was getting a little rough. It seems like the females have strong vertical bars but then whenever I release her, they just chase each other and nothing happens. I just don't understand what I am doing wrong that I cannot for the life of me get these fish to breed. I have pretty much given up on trying because I have tried everything and I don't want any more to get hurt and my frustration has just peaked. I even emailed the breeder I got my fish from and she said I was doing everything right, she doesn't know why they won't breed. I mean is it really THIS hard to get them to spawn? I have researched all I could find and asked for advice. Please help me and don't just say stop breeding. If anyone knows what I am doing wrong I want to hear. There must be one thing that is wrong that they will not spawn. I have tried 2 different pairs of males and 4 different females already. So basically one male and 2 females. What is wrong? Is the female not full of eggs enough that she won't go into her submission? Her belly is super white and large so I thought she was full of eggs.
jschristian44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 11:48 PM   #2 
Luimeril

how long did you condition them for? they're not ready when YOU think they are, but when THEY feel they are. just because YOU think they're ready, doesn't mean they are. my female Plakat, Lulu, ALWAYS has the "breeding bars" on her, whenever i'm around her. doesn't mean she's ready to spawn, because i'm not conditioning her, nor is she in sight of any males. vertical bars, does NOT mean she's ready to spawn. the end. why not just give it up, until you learn a bit more?
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 11:53 PM   #3 
jschristian44

thanks for the help. i think i heard someone say that before. but how do i know when THEY know they are ready for spawning? i mean, what can i do. i know the vertical bars arent the only sign because she does kinda have them from time to time without the male, etc. i have given up because i learned my lesson from the female that just died. but anyways, how can i know they are ready? i don't get that.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:56 PM   #4 
Luimeril

i've never spawned, so i'm not entirely sure. i'm not even sure anyone on here is willing to help you. :/ that's why i suggested you give it up. i mean, what are you gonna feed the babies? what size grow-out tank do you have? do you have jars for all the males and aggressive females? what are you gonna do with all the babies? are you prepared to cull any deformed babies? hundreds of questions, no one's heard you answer yet. you just need to be straight with everyone on here, answer any questions you're asked with an actual answer, and LISTEN to the advice given.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:59 PM   #5 
jschristian44

the babies food and space is all planned out, im not worried about that. i have researched culling and i heard the best way is to get a bucket of ice cold water with ice, and throw them in there. the shock will freeze them and they wont feel anything. but anyways, i just need help getting them to spawn. all the youtube videos make it look sooooo easy. i am doing everything right and they just won't get under the nest and embrace. i have seen them embrace before in a very dirty tank with nothing to build a nest under and no place for the female to hide. do i just have the worst luck ever?
Old 03-03-2011, 12:02 AM   #6 
Luimeril

don't go by youtube video advice. i've had to contact many people about what they're doing wrong. i'm no expert in breeding bettas, but i know the basics, and what NOT to do. all i can say is, do more research. go to good sites, like Bettysplendens.com. again, if you want the user's advice on here, you have to LISTEN to them. :/ they probably aren't happy that you're trying it again, though. >.>;
Old 03-03-2011, 12:13 AM   #7 
jschristian44

i know this, and im not getting advice from youtube, i know better. but its just annoying that they never spawned yet.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:15 AM   #8 
Luimeril

they don't spawn, because you're rushing things for them. do more research, and don't spawn again until you know how to tell when they're ready.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:07 AM   #9 
baylee767

How long did you condition them for? Before releasing, did you make sure the female kept tilting in a 45 degree angle, and them both going in an "s" shape, and the male flaring, and building a bubblenest? And how big is the spawning tank?

Verticle bars can mean a sign of subbmission, so males get them sometimes even too. You have to watch body language...
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 03:08 AM   #10 
indjo
TFK Moderator

I agree with the above advices -
Patience is the key to a successful spawn. If you release the female too soon, she will be beaten up. Specially for aggressive males, you should leave the female in the jar floating for 3 days or so until (read baylee's post).
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote