Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-03-2011, 01:47 AM   #1 
Eevee

Odd spot on my Betta and another worry

I just got my Betta, Peter, the other night and I am already worried if he is sick...

First, the spot on him, at first when I was buying him I noted this little more white spot on him. I just laughed it off thinking it was just a more white spot of scales. But when I got back to my dorms and set up his half gallon tank. I noted that the spot does not look at all the same as the rest of his scales. The spot worries me. This is the best photo I can get of the spot on Peter.

Now the other thing that worries me (I maybe over panicking but may as well ask).
Peter is not eating. I have had one other Betta in the past, he was big time eater. I would feed him in the morning and that fish would rush up and eat it all quickly.
But Peter has made no movement or ate at all from the time I got him. Well, I think he has ate one time. When I feed him this morning, I let the food drop down, thinking he may pick one up. Then I noted one of the pellets were gone. I am hoping that Peter is just a 'floor eater' or something like that.
I have changed his water thinking its just too cold for him to eat. But Peter is really lively fishy. So I don't think that is the problem. Should I just go back to where I got him and find out what time they feed the Bettas and see that may help getting him to eat? Or getting other feeds and see if he likes that more? Right now I am feeding Hikari's Betta Bio-Gold Pellets, the same stuff that I feed my first Betta.

Thank in advance.
Attached Images

Eevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 04:27 AM   #2 
Lupin

Location: Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Information Super Highway
Ask your store what they normally feed the fish. It doesn't hurt to do that. However, I suggest varying the diet. Since bettas prefer meaty foods, you may consider adding bloodworms, brine shrimps, mealworms, daphnia and anything else meaty in its diet.

Do you have a bigger pic resolution? Please use the bigger resolution so I can zoom in and find out the spot.
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 04:48 AM   #3 
baylee767

Hmm, look up lympsitosis/Cauliflower Disease, is this it? If so, not sure, but I believe t is USUALLY harmless. And if it gets too big you need to somehow add anesthetic to the tank and manually remove it... I personally wouldn't attempt it if it gets too big and that is the problem, if you mess up you could injure your fish. So, I'll just help you identify the problem not identify treatment because I don't know much about that >.>

EDIT: also, new Bettas tend not to eat for the first couple of days.

Last edited by baylee767; 03-03-2011 at 04:51 AM.
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 10:12 AM   #4 
Eevee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupin View Post
Ask your store what they normally feed the fish. It doesn't hurt to do that. However, I suggest varying the diet. Since bettas prefer meaty foods, you may consider adding bloodworms, brine shrimps, mealworms, daphnia and anything else meaty in its diet.

Do you have a bigger pic resolution? Please use the bigger resolution so I can zoom in and find out the spot.
Here is another photo of the spot. The problem is that I can only get photos of the spot on my camera phone. My normal camera is better but the shutter speed is not letting me get the shot, Peter does not stay still for the time the camera to take the photo. I will mess with it to see if I can change the shutter speed.

I am going to Petco in a bit to see about feeding times and getting another kind of food to change around for him at times. I may get bloodworms for him.
Attached Images

Old 03-03-2011, 10:14 AM   #5 
Eevee

Quote:
Originally Posted by baylee767 View Post
Hmm, look up lympsitosis/Cauliflower Disease, is this it? If so, not sure, but I believe t is USUALLY harmless. And if it gets too big you need to somehow add anesthetic to the tank and manually remove it... I personally wouldn't attempt it if it gets too big and that is the problem, if you mess up you could injure your fish. So, I'll just help you identify the problem not identify treatment because I don't know much about that >.>

EDIT: also, new Bettas tend not to eat for the first couple of days.
I looked it up, and in some photos it looks a bit like lympsitosis/Cauliflower Disease but in most photos I find of it, it does not look like what Peter has. Its not as round or not as big.

Thanks for the info about the eating, reading this calms me about Peter not eating yet.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:51 AM   #6 
turtle10

What size is your tank?
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 10:53 AM   #7 
Eevee

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle10 View Post
What size is your tank?
Its a half Gallon tank.
I am planning to get him a bigger one when I move out of the dorms.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:57 AM   #8 
turtle10

Is there any way you could get him a rubbermaid or sterilite tub in the mean time? He really shouldn't be in something that small for so long :(
Old 03-03-2011, 11:08 AM   #9 
Eevee

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle10 View Post
Is there any way you could get him a rubbermaid or sterilite tub in the mean time? He really shouldn't be in something that small for so long :(
I will try to get one. This tank is the biggest of the small tanks they had (its like a square shape, not tall and thin. It has a lot of floor space)

But, do you have any idea what the white spot on Peter is?
Old 03-03-2011, 11:14 AM   #10 
turtle10

Okay well the smallest tank size I would recommend is 2.5 gallons. It doesn't take up much space at all.

As for the white spot, it could be columnaris but I am not sure. Is the spot fuzzy/furry/cottony at all?