Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-02-2011, 07:19 PM   #1 
misamiania

Planted cycling question

So I was re-reading the sticky for cycling a tank. I'm doing that now. An I kept scrolling and noticed the plant one and that it eats up the ammonia, which I already knew but I just wasn't really thinking either.

I have plants in my cycling tank right now. Would that mess it up? I have some dwarf hair grass (not alot but planning to add more after dinner) and some hornwort (planning to add more after dinner as well.)

I've had the raw shrimp in there since last night. And I just started plant stocking my tank this morning.

Is the plants going to mess up the cycle?
-If so how would I start the cycle over? Isn't it just rinse the filter in tap water to get rid of any bacteria growing there?
-Since it's just been since last night could I just take it out and do a 100% water change and add the fish if I messed up the raw shrimp cycle method?
misamiania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 07:53 PM   #2 
Cravenne

I've always put the plants in right at the beginning of a cycle. I cycle with fish, but it's the same idea. It's not going to hurt the cycle, but it may mess with the readings you get..

I'm sure OFL will be along with a more expert opinion, but..plants are always added to my tank right away.
Leave the shrimp and plants in and continue with your cycling plans.
Cravenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 08:20 PM   #3 
misamiania

If I did decide to do the planted/fish cycle what would I have to do?

Just do a 100% water change and clean the filter? or leave the filter?
Old 03-02-2011, 08:36 PM   #4 
Cravenne

Do you have a water test kit? If you do, remove the shrimp and take a reading. Change out as much water as necessary to bring the ammonia level down to 0 (which might be all of it).
What size is your tank? Are you all ready for the Betta? including a heater..

You can put the fish in right away. Just test the water every few days and make the appropriate water changes to keep the ammonia levels down). If you don't have access to a test kit, your LFS can test the water for you weekly. It will take a while for the tank to cycle, but eventually it will.

Just leave the filter in the tank and running at all times. There is no need to rinse it until the tank has cycled unless it becomes clogs and isn't allowing the water through.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:43 PM   #5 
misamiania

Do you have a water test kit? If you do, remove the shrimp and take a reading. Change out as much water as necessary to bring the ammonia level down to 0 (which might be all of it).

I do! :D it was sitting on my front porch when I got home yesterday from my hunt at the LFS

What size is your tank? Are you all ready for the Betta? including a heater..

It's a 5 gal. Yes it's ready for the heater. I have two 1.5 gallons with bettas but I'm moving one into the 5 gal. So I've had Betta's just not in a cycled tank.

You can put the fish in right away. Just test the water every few days and make the appropriate water changes to keep the ammonia levels down). If you don't have access to a test kit, your LFS can test the water for you weekly. It will take a while for the tank to cycle, but eventually it will.

Thanks! :)

Just leave the filter in the tank and running at all times. There is no need to rinse it until the tank has cycled unless it becomes clogs and isn't allowing the water through.

Thank you so much! I think I will just go ahead and do that then. Now... where did I put that baggy *goes on the hunt*
Old 03-03-2011, 06:16 AM   #6 
Cravenne

Excellent!

Of course we'll want pictures. He's so lucky to be getting a nice big home!

Just don't overfeed him and take your water readings. You'll start to see how quickly the ammonia goes up. I'm going to suggest two water changes a week until the tank is cycled. If it was me, I'd do two 50%, but I know others will suggest differently. You can use the gravel vac with every other change.
Just remember that if your ammonia is reading .25 and you do a 50% change, you are cutting it in half. If it spikes to 1, a 50% change divides it in half..which is why it's important to watch and be prepared to change a lot of water for a few weeks. The plants will certainly help with the ammonia, which is why I always plant at the beginning.

Basically, do a lot of water changes, test your water every few days and don't obsess about the cycling. Just enjoy the fish. The tank will cycle all on it's own.

:)