Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-01-2011, 12:40 PM   #21 
ChelseaK

Did they tell you if they were male or female platy? My LFS told me that you should have more females than males to spread out aggression (even though they are generally playful fish)
ChelseaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 01:46 PM   #22 
shellbelle1982

No, they did not, each pair has a smallier fish but that could mean anything and I really couldn't tell if they are male or female lol

I just gave three boys names becuz I like the names and my nephew is called James
shellbelle1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 07:10 PM   #23 
Ariel1719

Hi! Sorry dont mean to hijack your thread, but which does come first.. The betta or the other fish in the tank? Lol
Ariel1719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 08:45 PM   #24 
turtle10

The other fish.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 11:13 AM   #25 
shellbelle1982

That's ok to hijacking the thread, at least you got your question answered.

I seem to have a food aggressive platy, he nips everyone else at food time, I wondering will be this be a problem for my betta when I get him?

but other than that everything fine and dandy lol
Old 03-03-2011, 11:16 AM   #26 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellbelle1982 View Post
That's ok to hijacking the thread, at least you got your question answered.

I seem to have a food aggressive platy, he nips everyone else at food time, I wondering will be this be a problem for my betta when I get him?

but other than that everything fine and dandy lol
Maybe… with the betta's long and colorful fins he may be a more obvious target to the platy than the other fish at feeding time.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 05:36 AM   #27 
shellbelle1982

I think I know why my fish was nippy, I got the shock of my life when I got up, there was a little fry staring back at me, my fish had babies!!!! Now the nipper is not nipping as much as it has done around food time.

How many babies does a platy have? because I only saw 2 and I'm sure there would be more than that unless the other 3 ate them or my filter sucked them in.

Last edited by shellbelle1982; 03-06-2011 at 05:38 AM.
Old 03-06-2011, 01:30 PM   #28 
BlackberryBetta

What I was told to do (and am doing right now) is put a betta in the tank and let it go to the bathroom and stuff and that helps with the cycle. Then add your tankmates like a few weeks later. Later on today I am going to get my water tested so see if I am ready for my tetras. It is working out perfectly for me, no problems so far. Is this method bad? It really doesn't matter because there is no going back for me...
BlackberryBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 05:26 AM   #29 
shellbelle1982

I just got a few questions.

I have been testing the tank for the nitrite for the past week, every other day as I have been told by someone becuase you need it to be 0ppm before you can put more fish in and that this should take only 11 days.

Like I said i've been doing this for a week and the level is still in the high range of my master tester kit (5.0ppm)

I'm just wondering is this wrong or it is just that the bacteria just takes a very long time. Or should I be putting something in to help it out?

Also I'm starting to get alage in the tank too, I feed the fish with tetra granules and crisps (every other day I change from one to the other). I give 2 very small pinches, Am i over feed them and this is why I have alage?

I hope that someone can help as I want to get my betta soon ish

thanks
Old 03-11-2011, 08:31 AM   #30 
ansalong

If you have fish in there I don't think I would add anything chemical to help the cycle along. I have heard that cycling the tank can take several weeks, so you just want to be patient and wait until your nitrites come back down. Keep doing water changes so your fish don't get poisoned.

For the algae...is your tank in a window, or does it get direct sunlight? I understand that nitrites can help algae grow, and uneaten food in the tank can also do that.
ansalong is offline   Reply With Quote