Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-03-2011, 11:25 AM   #11 
Dragonlady

Euthanizing a pet is a very personal decision that only you can make. Personally, I can't stand to see any animal suffer.
Dragonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 11:28 AM   #12 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
Euthanizing a pet is a very personal decision that only you can make. Personally, I can't stand to see any animal suffer.
+1
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 12:02 PM   #13 
Capricorn

I've only ever euthanized one fish.. it was a head/tail light tetra that had developed NTD and would have died a very slow, painful death. The way I view it is that you have to decide if they fish will be able to live comfortably, or if they will be able to ever recover.. it was a painful decision to make, I agree.

The clove oil method is probably the best method out there, but I hope that you won't have to make that decision. (: Give the epsom alt a good try, keep him nice and warm.. clean and warm water can often do more than we think to help fish.
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 12:18 PM   #14 
TheKingsFish

Instead of worrying PowayMermaid any further when we aren't even sure whether she'll need to euthanize or not, why don't you create a thread where you can continue this debate and leave this one for giving advice to someone who needs it?
TheKingsFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 12:31 PM   #15 
Capricorn

Her original concern was if she should euthanize her fish or not.. offering information or advice on that is just as important as offering alternative ways to treat her fish. Part of keeping fish is being aware of all options of treatment. I hope the epsom works for her and she doesn't even have to think about anything else, but in my honest opinion to know when it should be a legitimate thing to think of and how to do it with as little stress and pain to the animal is also important. She asked, and we were answering.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:34 PM   #16 
PowayMermaid

LOL KingsFish you're such a sweetheart. I had to admit that I was chewing my lip a little bit when I woke up and read all the responses, lol. At least we all have our love and concern for our bettas in common no matter what, no? :)

And perhaps you might have saved my little Draco! The last post I read last night was your previous one, and I didn't respond yet because I was so tired but I DID follow your advice exactly. When I woke up and checked on him he was no longer on his side and (I think) his fins have opened up a bit more. I'm going to follow your advice further and leave him there for a couple of more hours before I move him back to his tank, and then eventually another epsom bath.

So far I'm pretty hopeful, and words can't accurately express how grateful I am to all of you... especially to you KingsFish! I wish I could hug you in person, lol.
PowayMermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 12:35 PM   #17 
Capricorn

Awesome news Poway. <3
Old 03-03-2011, 01:09 PM   #18 
PowayMermaid

Thank you Capricorn! :) Hopefully the Clove oil/Freezing debate won't have to apply to Draco and I after all. It is something to keep in mind though, God forbid. As my parents always say: "Hope for the best, expect the worst."
Old 03-03-2011, 01:15 PM   #19 
TheKingsFish

See how he does today and continue to repeat the process for the next couple days. If he seems more lethargic in his tank, bathe him longer: the process will require some time.
TheKingsFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:14 PM   #20 
PowayMermaid

You haven't steered me wrong yet, KF! :)

Tags
euthanize, swim bladder