Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-03-2011, 03:30 PM   #21 
bearwithfish

i have a few questions for every one but the OP first.....

1) if you are appalled by the OP why do you post in response? if given attention even negative attention some folks just keep posting to keep you going. why would you give some one on the internet that much control over you? seems a bit silly to me but thats just my opinion
2) if you know i mean really know that the OP will not take advice why continue to offer nuggets of wisdom that will fall on deaf ears? again seems counter productive to me and a classic waist of time.
3) any person who tries a task and fails enough times will give up. granted some people are slower learners than others but scientific research shows that this is true of all beings (animals and humans alike) let it happen naturally
4) i (along with certain other moderators) will NOT ban a person simply due to the fact that they chose to not accept and follow a certain amount of advice. now if other rules were broken or the person was clearly in violation of others rights that would be different....
5) if you sit down and turn on the TV and a show you do not want to watch is on... what do you do? watch it? very unlikely you change the channel or turn it off and find other things to do.... why does that seem so hard for you to apply to peoples posts that you have a hard time with?

now on to the OP.....
really? you want advice yet the 1st post sets you up to turn it away. you have had a number of threads closed (mostly due to the actions of others in response to you) and yet you continue..... interesting way to attract attention.. i do not wish a response (though i know you will give one) nor do i intend to offer any advice to you regarding fish keeping, breeding, or really any other topic so please feel free to over look this post...

on a side note to the OP and ALL responding parties..... dont feed what you dont want and eventually it will look elsewhere for what it craves... this works with animals, people, and mythical creatures such as trolls and giants as well......
bearwithfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 03:48 PM   #22 
Emmalea

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschristian44 View Post
condition is when you keep their water nice and clean and you feed them brine shrimp and pellets for 2 weeks or so. and no, i didnt release her with horiztonal stripes, i waited until she was neutral again.
I know what conditioning is,thanks.
You clearly do not understand sarcasm, or proper conditioning.
Emmalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 03:49 PM   #23 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearwithfish View Post
i have a few questions for every one but the OP first.....

1) if you are appalled by the OP why do you post in response? if given attention even negative attention some folks just keep posting to keep you going. why would you give some one on the internet that much control over you? seems a bit silly to me but thats just my opinion
2) if you know i mean really know that the OP will not take advice why continue to offer nuggets of wisdom that will fall on deaf ears? again seems counter productive to me and a classic waist of time.
3) any person who tries a task and fails enough times will give up. granted some people are slower learners than others but scientific research shows that this is true of all beings (animals and humans alike) let it happen naturally
4) i (along with certain other moderators) will NOT ban a person simply due to the fact that they chose to not accept and follow a certain amount of advice. now if other rules were broken or the person was clearly in violation of others rights that would be different....
5) if you sit down and turn on the TV and a show you do not want to watch is on... what do you do? watch it? very unlikely you change the channel or turn it off and find other things to do.... why does that seem so hard for you to apply to peoples posts that you have a hard time with?

now on to the OP.....
really? you want advice yet the 1st post sets you up to turn it away. you have had a number of threads closed (mostly due to the actions of others in response to you) and yet you continue..... interesting way to attract attention.. i do not wish a response (though i know you will give one) nor do i intend to offer any advice to you regarding fish keeping, breeding, or really any other topic so please feel free to over look this post...

on a side note to the OP and ALL responding parties..... dont feed what you dont want and eventually it will look elsewhere for what it craves... this works with animals, people, and mythical creatures such as trolls and giants as well......

Well stated...I couldn't agree more or said it better myself.....

And I really loved that last paragraph......

Now that I have picked myself up off the floor (fell out of my chair laughing....) I felt compelled to respond to one Awesome-hit the nail on the head...... post......

And I really enjoyed Emmalea post as well...one thing I may have added in the very last line...would have been to-Bold and underline "YOU" like this.......

"And this my friend is how "YOU" should breed bettas"
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 04:07 PM   #24 
jschristian44

sigh.
jschristian44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 04:37 PM   #25 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Are we really going here again?

My head hurts.
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 04:38 PM   #26 
Emmalea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Well stated...I couldn't agree more or said it better myself.....

And I really loved that last paragraph......

Now that I have picked myself up off the floor (fell out of my chair laughing....) I felt compelled to respond to one Awesome-hit the nail on the head...... post......

And I really enjoyed Emmalea post as well...one thing I may have added in the very last line...would have been to-Bold and underline "YOU" like this.......

"And this my friend is how "YOU" should breed bettas"
I totally was going to, haha. I guess I just kinda forgot.
Emmalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 04:40 PM   #27 
dramaqueen
Banned

Good grief!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 05:24 PM   #28 
aunt kymmie
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearwithfish View Post
Changing the channel now!
aunt kymmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 07:31 PM   #29 
drkeni9ma

@jschristian44 I know your frustrations.. I'm also a newbie breeder.. Just be patient and don't give up..
drkeni9ma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 08:47 PM   #30 
1fish2fish

Bravo Bearwithfish! wish there was an applause emoticon.

JC.. Here is my take on it. I've said this before and again it is probably going to fall on deaf ears.... your lacking patience.

First.. you need the patience to condition your fish. Did you get them both from a breeder? How long ago did you get them? Generally 2 weeks is the recommended time to condition fish for breeding unless
1. The fish come to you already in breeding condition. Next week I'll be getting two females to do a spawn the following week. They will only be conditioned here for a week but I know that they are coming to me in breeding condition.
2. If you have live foods you can usually condition in shorter amounts of time. I believe OFL says you can usually get a fish to breeding condition in a week IF you gut load with live foods. Dried or frozen foods will not get your fish to breeding condition in a week. Freeze dried foods will not get your fish in condition period.
The other part of feeding is making sure your fish have a lot to eat. They should look plump but not overfed and should not be bloated.

During conditioning the other part of it is water changes. Daily water changes will exponentially increase your fish's readiness to breed (IME). I condition my breeders in 1 gallon glass pickle jars heated to 77-78* and do 100% water changes DAILY. I also keep IAL in the water which can only help.

When your ready to set up the spawning tank it is very important to have a lot of hiding spots IMO. I choose to fill my tanks up to the point that they are over 1/2 full with live plants. IMO silk plants just don't provide enough cover and make it too easy for the male to be able to catch the female. That is just my opinion however. Some people are able to stuff a bunch of silk plants in their tank and have a successful spawn.

IMO 82-86*F is a better temperature for spawning. Also having a humid tank seems really help IME. I keep my spawning tank tightly covered.

Before breeding I like to put my breeders in a clear, divided container so I can see how they act towards each other. I've found this helps me to better judge how long the female needs to be jarred (or possibly if the male should be jarred)... because I can have an idea of how aggressive they act towards each other through the divided tank.

When it comes down to it.. neither I nor anyone else can truly explain when the right time to release the female is because we all do it differently but still have success. You just have to know. I honestly can't explain it any better.. I just know when the pair is ready to be introduced and generally my pairs spawn within 24 hours of being introduced. Only 2 times out of 6 attempted spawns has the pair taken longer than that.

I think it's evident that you want to breed... if you slow down, keep reading, and keep trying I think you'll get there. The key is PATIENCE. My best advice is read different people's spawn threads to see how they do it... you'll find that everyone has a different method but if you break each person's method down you can find the similarities and the differences between each and find your own method from there.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote