Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-27-2011, 09:42 AM   #11 
tsoto80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupin View Post
That's a tight spot there, Tiff. You know you could be more comfortable if you ask him if he's willing to show you how he takes care of his fish. Show him the ropes of better fishkeeping. Ask him logical questions what he plans to do if they breed. Breeding bettas is not any closely similar to just breeding guppies. The parents must be watched closely, fry need special attention and plenty of space as they grow. How is he going to manage everything without a concrete plan?
I would not know the right questions to ask because I dont know how to breed fish. I even thought about going to his house and take a look at his set up. I do know you need more than one tank when you are breeding, some may have to be killed if there is defects, and you have to watch them closly when they both are ready. The fry also need a special kind of food. From what I gathered he was gonna put them in the same tank, let them breed (assuming they didnt kill each other first), and keep all the fry and parents together. I even thought to give him this web site address..... he seemed to have his mind made up so I want no furthor contact with him to me it seems useless. He will be going on trial and error and when he fails he will see that I was right lol

Im just gonna buy my lil girl her own lil tank and keep her in my room. Its not that I wouldnt have room for another tank I can defentily find plenty of room! It is more of not wanting another tank only because I already have three display tanks and two temp tanks and 2 hospital bowls. Some of my family is already thinking I am hoarding bettas! My mother in law thinks its stupid I am "wasting" money of fish stuff shes always rolling her eyes at me and giving me dirty looks. Another tank is one more thing for her to complain about.
tsoto80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:16 PM   #12 
dramaqueen
Banned

The guy probably thinks that it's like breeding guppies. Just throw them in a tank and let nature take it's course.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:18 PM   #13 
Luimeril

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
The guy probably thinks that it's like breeding guppies. Just throw them in a tank and let nature take it's course.
i swear, that's what ALOT of people think. :/ i'm always having to explain to people on youtbe, that it's NOT an easy thing.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:39 PM   #14 
RiverStoneBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
When I'm on Yahoo Answers (sometimes for lulz, most of the time to try to save some fish) I see loads of people backing up their facts with "I breed guppies!" Well, I have two thumbs, so that person and I are on the same intellectual level.

I'm not hating on guppy breeders. But it seems like when these people take steps into the breeding process, whether they are successful or not, they immediately have the attitude of "Well, I breed fish, so I know what I'm talking about." And I hate that because they give out toxic information.

So when I see someone trying to lecture me or someone else about keeping fish, I bombard them with questions. Most of the time, they can't answer the most basic parts, and I end up giving the proper information to the people who need it.

Thankfully, most of the answers I give on Yahoo are chosen as the best answers. (As if that means something.)
RiverStoneBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:45 PM   #15 
turtle10

The yahoo answers pet section makes me so sad, I had to stop going on there a long time ago :(
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 02:12 AM   #16 
Goomba3

I agree whole heartedly with what you did. I understand you thinking about giving her away (or selling her), not because you don't love her, but because you thought she might go to a better home. But the fact that once you found out she was going to get bred, and you weren't comfortable with that, so you didn't makes you an awesome betta owner. Some other people might think "Well, she's the black sheep in the sorority, she causes trouble, etc etc, even if she's going to get bred she'll at least stop causing me stress." You did nothing wrong.
Goomba3 is offline   Reply With Quote