Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-03-2011, 11:40 PM   #61 
Torat

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishman12 View Post
My petco has never given me 'advice' on keeping betta fish.

Mine did.

"Bettas are fine in a gallon of water-they live in puddles so they don't really swim anyway. They just sit there."

My logic? So if I lived in a 9'x9' room my whole life, I wouldn't ACTIVELY ENJOY or DESERVE a 1200 sqft house?

The fish in your little cups are DYING. All their energy is going towards survival, NOT SWIMMING. They swim and they damned well enjoy it, if you take GOOD CARE of them.

When I'm looking to buy a betta from any of the Petcos up here, I put them next to one another to see them flare. Why? Because I want to see their tails. Why? Because every single male I've gotten from Petco has had some sort of fin rot, fungal infection, parasite, tail torn to shreds, etc.

I had one Petco representative actually lecture me that "Flaring is bad for bettas. It stresses them out to see another betta." I said, "I'm checking for signs of illness and need the fish to flare for me." His reply was, "Well, you're going to cause the betta to get ill doing that. If it gets stressed, it'll DIE." I had the cups next to one another only maybe 20 seconds by that point (he was a hoverer).

On another note, the Petsmart up here has an aquatics expert that ROCKS. I was looking at a bowl for a temporary quarantine tank, and he was really worried (he had seen me lookin' at the bettas before and we talk while I buy my plants, etc). He stopped me and gave me a lecture that even one male fish should have at least five gallons of water, and he'd be MORE than happy to walk me through getting the set up and working, and that I should NOT expect to get any fish for about a month and a half going on two, etc. He was really, really concerned. It was sweet. My response? "Darlin', I have a single male betta in a 10 gallon cycled, planted tank. You need NOT worry that I'll put a fish in this teeny bowl for anything other than salt baths."

His look of relief was priceless.
Torat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 11:47 PM   #62 
Slipstitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torat View Post
Mine did.

"Bettas are fine in a gallon of water-they live in puddles so they don't really swim anyway. They just sit there."

My logic? So if I lived in a 9'x9' room my whole life, I wouldn't ACTIVELY ENJOY or DESERVE a 1200 sqft house?

The fish in your little cups are DYING. All their energy is going towards survival, NOT SWIMMING. They swim and they damned well enjoy it, if you take GOOD CARE of them.

When I'm looking to buy a betta from any of the Petcos up here, I put them next to one another to see them flare. Why? Because I want to see their tails. Why? Because every single male I've gotten from Petco has had some sort of fin rot, fungal infection, parasite, tail torn to shreds, etc.

I had one Petco representative actually lecture me that "Flaring is bad for bettas. It stresses them out to see another betta." I said, "I'm checking for signs of illness and need the fish to flare for me." His reply was, "Well, you're going to cause the betta to get ill doing that. If it gets stressed, it'll DIE." I had the cups next to one another only maybe 20 seconds by that point (he was a hoverer).

On another note, the Petsmart up here has an aquatics expert that ROCKS. I was looking at a bowl for a temporary quarantine tank, and he was really worried (he had seen me lookin' at the bettas before and we talk while I buy my plants, etc). He stopped me and gave me a lecture that even one male fish should have at least five gallons of water, and he'd be MORE than happy to walk me through getting the set up and working, and that I should NOT expect to get any fish for about a month and a half going on two, etc. He was really, really concerned. It was sweet. My response? "Darlin', I have a single male betta in a 10 gallon cycled, planted tank. You need NOT worry that I'll put a fish in this teeny bowl for anything other than salt baths."

Send him to the petsmart by my place!!! O.O

I swear, I'm going to stop being nice to people if they keep telling me that Bettas don't LIKE lots of water because in the wild they only have a 1/2 gallon of water to swim in. Or that I don't need to keep track of the nitrites or nitrates in my tank or the ammonia or chlorine/chlorimine... I had a guy try to talk me into buying these crappy little test strips when what I wanted was the freshwater master test kit. Because Bettas don't need care. This guy worked at a place that was devoted to tropical fish. Seriously?! But you can't correct those people, because they actually work in those places... >.<' Makes me wanna smite people.

On the plus side for that store, btw, most of their bettas were fairly healthy and had some really neat color combos.
Slipstitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 11:50 PM   #63 
Luimeril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torat View Post
Mine did.

my males sometimes get flare sessions, where i remove the paper separating their tanks and let them flare at each other. it doesn't stress them out much, since they flare at anything anyways. it HELPS them. >.> i do it, so they get exercise, and so they poop. o3o Cup, especially, bloats easy, and needs the extra push for him to get everything out of his system. that employee doesn't know a darn thing about bettas, do they? >.>;

i like that petsmart person. :3 they make me happeh.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 12:37 AM   #64 
baylee767

I haven't really been told how to care for my fish before. But I have educated all of my peers in church, school, and soccer, in appropriate Betta care, and in turn all of their families, who'll spread it to their friends... So really I'm the one who gives out instrucations Lol.

You know, even fish "experts" can be dumb about this. We had a guy who studied marine biology and such (fish stuff) and worked at this marine science center come to our school to explain the nitrogen cycle (he seemed freaked out I knew the answers to all of his questions XD). He had a whole bunch of saltwater fish in 1 gallon tanks, and a Chichilid in a half filled 10 gallon aquaponics system, in which there wasn't nearly enough plants and the water was brown and the poor fish looked really sick. So, I guess sometimes you have to go with LOGIC. Which would you like better... a closet or a city... hmmm....

Last edited by baylee767; 03-04-2011 at 12:41 AM.
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 06:31 AM   #65 
RiverStoneBetta

I encountered the first Petco employee that actually knew something about first for the first time last night while I was waiting to pick up my new adopted boy. We got into a good twenty minute discussion about whether Maracyn-Oxy worked as well as Maracyn 1 & 2. (Oxy is non-antibiotic treatment, since that store doesn't carry antibiotics for fish.) We talked about our tanks for a while, and she was even nice enough to admit that she hated that "betta lounge" thing Petco has. I gave her a good review for the manager before I left, because I wasn't expecting that. It made me a little happier.
RiverStoneBetta is offline   Reply With Quote