Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-04-2011, 09:27 PM   #1 
Johnificent

Petco or Petsmart?

I am going to go buy more fish supplies tomorrow, and I was wondering which store has the best fish department and lowest prices? would you go for petco or petsmart? thanks :)
Johnificent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:31 PM   #2 
wildmagic713

Around me, I trust PetCo more for good products, but Petsmart has a bigger section.

Actually, that's a lie :P I rarely shop for fish stuff at either of those, I have a LFS that I LOVE with very reasonable prices and very helpful people, but when I don't shop there, I shop at PetCo. They take better care of their Bettas (at least around me) so I don't feel as bad giving them money.
wildmagic713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:54 PM   #3 
vilmarisv

It depends on what are looking for...
In my area Petsmart has a larger selection of small tank Kits and fish medication.
Petco has a larger selection of live plants, bettas, aquarium decor (I like their gravel LOTS more), and hoodless tanks.
They are pretty much equal with tank equipment and food.
As for prices, it also depends on what you're buying... check the prices online and if there's a sale that doesn't say "online only" of an item you want, print out the page and both stores will honor the price (don't know if they'll match the other store prices)... I've did this a couple of times with the MiniBow 2.5 kit at Petsmart. Got it for $19.99!
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:10 PM   #4 
Johnificent

minibow for 19.99? WOW that is the tank that i want to buy! XD i checked petsmart and petco online, but they're both $40.... how did you do that? what store?
Old 03-04-2011, 10:52 PM   #5 
vilmarisv

It was a sale they ran a few months back.
I don't recomend the MiniBow... it looks great but after just a couple of months the light of one of my tanks came apart... and I didn't even change the bulb!
I have 2 of the 10gallon Walmart kits and they are great! I replaced the bulbs with flourescent ones.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 11:23 PM   #6 
Johnificent

my walmart doesnt have a big fish department, just like 6 tanks in a shelf and thats it, i dont even think they sell bettas there..... :O well, im off to petsmart tomorrow, yep, i chose petsmart.... well, petco? i dunno, they have the minibow i want, "betta-bow" LOL im not sure, if my cousins come, ill have to go to petsmart because they love all the animals there, because my petco is really small......
Old 03-05-2011, 12:36 AM   #7 
Emmalea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnificent View Post
my walmart doesnt have a big fish department, just like 6 tanks in a shelf and thats it, i dont even think they sell bettas there..... :O well, im off to petsmart tomorrow, yep, i chose petsmart.... well, petco? i dunno, they have the minibow i want, "betta-bow" LOL im not sure, if my cousins come, ill have to go to petsmart because they love all the animals there, because my petco is really small......
The Betta-bow is the same tank, it just comes with a useless divider that you can't use because it will make the tank to small and overstocked. Save your money and just buy the normal Mini-bow, or just buy a plain 2.5 gallon, I just got one for 16 bucks from petsmart. I doesn't come with anything but most of the stuff you get from cheap kits isn't great anyway.
Emmalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 08:52 AM   #8 
Johnificent

@emmalea oh... i was thinkin of putting two bettas in because i heard that bettas get stimulated and its healthy for them? im not sure, but i heard this before...
Old 03-05-2011, 10:11 AM   #9 
Slayers

If you are going to pet smart look for the 10 gal kit I bought 2 of them there and they were $22 for tank hood and filter it was the best deal I have seen.

And if you get a 2.5 gal just house 1 betta in there I have 1 for a female and it seems really small for her which is why I bought the 2nd 10 gal when I get somewhere to place it she will get that tank
Slayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 11:46 AM   #10 
zackrspv

By far, i trust PetCo for live plants and bettas. But not live plants to add to my betta tanks, just my garden tanks. They still use snails, like petsmart in their plant tanks, so chances are, when you buy a plant or two, u'll get snails too.

As to taking care of their fish, PetCo rocks. They actively change the water daily, remove diseased, infected, and dead bettas from the shelves, and never let the bettas see each other that much (unless they are veil tails). They love to stack those for some reason.

Equipment wise, petsmart is more like the walmart of fish supplies. PetCo has the high end aqueon setups. PetSmart has the 5G $27.99 tank setups.

As a previous poster said, medications, tank treatments, etc, are easilly found at petsmart vs petco; but then PetCo has the best frozen foods, and live foods. They even have (depending on your location) live ants.

As to WalMart: Say away from these people, except for maybe the tanks. Their decorations are rarely marked safe for anything other than garden kits, and their foods, treaments, etc, are so out of date it's a shame. They also do not take care of their bettas. Leaving them in MB Blue bowls, where they can see each other, and the poor things die too quickly.
zackrspv is offline   Reply With Quote