Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-05-2011, 09:36 PM   #1 
leluandswimmy

My Bettas are snobs...our new catfish needs help!

Okay,

Just got a new dwarf catfish tonight, because like an idoit again, I listen to the people at the pet store. The catfish is maybe half an inch long, small little guy. He was hanging around the bottom of the tank, as Catfish do...and one of my girls came up to him and poked him a couple times....then the big girl start looking at him and I freaked and pulled him out of there.

Are they just checking him out? Will he be okay in there? I just don't want him to die if I put him back in there, but everyone's telling me that he[Catfish] should be perfectly fine in a 10 gallon tank with 2 betta girls...IDK???? HELP!!!
leluandswimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:00 PM   #2 
leluandswimmy

little update....I put him back in the tank after doing a little reading....and swimmy(small betta) has chased him around a little poked him a few times, but hasn't really attacked him yet. She's starting to leave him alone. Lelu(big betta) could care less about the new fish. I guess Swimmy has the short man syndrome.
leluandswimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:53 PM   #3 
shinybetta

It is probably a corydoras catfish. They need to be in groups of at least 4. The girls probably won't attack him.
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 12:11 AM   #4 
Malvolti

They're probably just curious. Watch for nipping and biting. Poking is normal.

As stated they need groups of 4+, they're a community fish, which will also probably help protect them against female aggression. safety in numbers and all that.
Malvolti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 02:28 PM   #5 
turtle10

Make sure you do your research before buying a pet, then you won't end up in a situation like this. Like others before me have said, they should be in groups of at least 4. What type of catfish is it?
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote