Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-06-2011, 09:23 PM   #1 
k2ofcu

Exclamation HELP-Acute agitation/distended belly/listing sideways- Fred

Had airstone on for ~ 1 hr then shut it off and fed Fred.

Ate really aggressively, then started to swim erratically through tank (listing sideways), now is jammed behind heater (up near surface, so he can breathe).

Seems to be listing sideways, and looks like a distended abdomen.

Will search thru forums for information, but meanwhile- ideas/help please??
THANKS!
k2ofcu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 09:29 PM   #2 
vaygirl

How much did you feed, what type of food? Their tummies are the size of one of their eyes. Sounds like a case of too much food, upset tummy, swim bladder pressure. :)

A lot of bettas seem to rest near the heater when they're not feeling well. Is there a bracket he's resting on?
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 09:30 PM   #3 
k2ofcu

Exclamation

Housing
What size is your tank? 6 gallon
What temperature is your tank?80F
Does your tank have a filter?yes- whisper 10i
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? yes- run intermittently- stopped it right before episode
Is your tank heated? yes (hydor 25W)
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Tetra BettaMin flakes and bloodworms
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 x day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? 2 x week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50+%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? BettaSafe (Tetra)

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Yesterday (will test again):
Ammonia: 0.25-0.5 ppm
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:0
pH:8.0-8.2
Hardness:don't know
Alkalinity: don't know

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
acutely so- distended belly, agitation, erratic swimming, now behind filter or heater, near surface

How has your betta fish's behavior changed?Within a minute of feeding -much more rapid swimming, erratic thru tank, now jammed betw. filter or heater , near surface

When did you start noticing the symptoms? 5 minutes ago

Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? NO- help!

Does your fish have any history of being ill?No
How old is your fish (approximately)?Arrived ~ 1 month ago.

THANK YOU!
Old 03-06-2011, 09:35 PM   #4 
k2ofcu

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaygirl View Post
How much did you feed, what type of food? Their tummies are the size of one of their eyes. Sounds like a case of too much food, upset tummy, swim bladder pressure. :)

A lot of bettas seem to rest near the heater when they're not feeling well. Is there a bracket he's resting on?
THANK YOU SO MUCH!
Same as always- a pinch (not a generous one- thinly covers the area of a nickel- he eats flakes- won't eat betta balls/pellets).
I did give him bloodworms (drat!!)- about 3-4, crumbled (normal ones are too big).
He's now behind the Whisper filter, up near surface. There is a bracket for the Hydor 25W- he's not resting on it now but was-again, is behind the filter, near the surface.

Is there anything I can do to make him feel better?- remedies? Please tell me he's not going to burst? (feeble laugh kinda not kidding hoping that everyone can have a good laugh about it just so long he's ok).

Thanks!!!
Old 03-06-2011, 09:37 PM   #5 
k2ofcu

Exclamation

More info--

Zoomed around maniacally in the tank after eating for about 1 minute- didn't eat everything.
Then noticed the belly & his sideways shimmy- seems like he put himself behind heater or filter to keep himself upright, near surface,with less effort.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:39 PM   #6 
vaygirl

Freeze dried bloodworms often cause bloating and constipation. Stop feeding for a day or three (they can take it), let him get his bowels moved and wait for the bloating to go down. Give bloodworms only as a treat, maybe once a week? And try pre-soaking them before you give them. Sometimes that helps.

You can try an Epsom Salt bath. I'm not familiar with the dosage and the steps, so you can PM Oldfishlady. She's always in the know with that stuff. In the meantime it's really just waiting for it to move on through his system.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:41 PM   #7 
k2ofcu

Has moved from behind filter/heater- now in front of tank. Followed me over to other side of tank (where I was going to sit) :*-/
I moved back to the other side so he could shimmy against his betta log, or lay on his betta leaf.....
Just went back behind filter...
Old 03-06-2011, 09:44 PM   #8 
k2ofcu

So did I do permanent damage to Fred?
He does have a distended belly - will PM OldFishLady for Epsom info!
THANKS SO MUCH!
(am a worried mom!!)
Old 03-06-2011, 09:51 PM   #9 
vaygirl

No, you didn't. He should be fine. A lot of fish go through the equivalent of a Thanksgiving dinner syndrome. He'll be uncomfortable and a little off but he should perk up once he starts pooing some of it out. The Epsom salt bath should help. I wish I knew the specifics. OFL should steer you right there. Or someone else might pop in and know.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:14 PM   #10 
k2ofcu

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaygirl View Post
No, you didn't. He should be fine. A lot of fish go through the equivalent of a Thanksgiving dinner syndrome. He'll be uncomfortable and a little off but he should perk up once he starts pooing some of it out. The Epsom salt bath should help. I wish I knew the specifics. OFL should steer you right there. Or someone else might pop in and know.
WHEW-thank you so much for the reassurance! I was so afraid I'd killed him!

He's come out to see me (well, he's in the tank, but honestly, he comes by to keep me company!)
He was kinda resting on the betta leaf (on this side of the tank) and was jab-stabbing at the air (no food- I swept it all out with the net at the beginning of all of this).

He's more vertical (less listing), and I was initially afraid that he'd broken off one of his ventral(?) fins (they're asymmetrical at best), but it looks like instead he has a coil of poop outcoming (I've never seen him poop!)

He's gone back behind the heater (not really resting on the heater bracket, but just above it).

THANKS AGAIN!