Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-06-2011, 10:44 PM   #1 
SaylorKennedy

Happy end of Spring Break!

Now get to work!!
This is what I came back to after 2.5 weeks of spring break. Did I mention that I forgot to make sure the light timer was switched to on? Yeah. Light 24/7 and no water changes the whole time. The moss I actually floated in the water. The picture was after I lifted most of it up and scrubbed the algae off the front of the tank.

My plan of attack: I've wanted to change the substrate for a little bit so I'm doing that now and just completely restarting the tank. I did a 100% change and scrubbed the walls of the tank and everything in it. I'll have to recycle but I'm okay with that. I've still got the bacteria in the filter.
So the tank right now until I get gravel tomorrow (what do you think, black or natural???) It's baffled now too. :)
SaylorKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 10:50 PM   #2 
wallywestisthebest333

Interesting rock and branch formation!

I'd go with natural as black gravel tends to be rather big chunks and the natural would look more.... well natural! :P

I'd also try and do a bit of a rock garden theme with it what with your awesome piece of decor! =]

You could use a (verry heavily scrubbed and cleaned) wide toothed comb to make the rake patters in your substrate. =]

Are you thinking of doing a walstad or is it going to be a moss, slow grower, and stem tank? =]
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 10:58 PM   #3 
denaliwind

Looks like a science project! XD
Amazing how well it cleaned up. I think natural would look awesome with that drift wood and moss, even sand instead of gravel. Like one of those aquascaping aquariums I drool over.
denaliwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 11:07 PM   #4 
wallywestisthebest333

^^^ Agreed. sand would look really amazing!
Old 03-06-2011, 11:26 PM   #5 
baylee767

Off topic... my spring breaks starts next week.

Okay, anyways, you should get some nerite snails since if you do you pretty much never have to clean algae again depending on the species. And wow, you really cleaned it out, but I guess when you do a huge substrate switchout it gets easier lol.
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 11:39 PM   #6 
wallywestisthebest333

I love my nerite! <3 You should totally get one! :D I need to get him some algae wafers though as I have a lot of stem plants so there's not much algae for him to live on! :'D
Old 03-07-2011, 12:46 AM   #7 
SaylorKennedy

Thanks. This is what it looked like before. I had a mixture of black sand and black gravel. I do like the rock garden idea but sand is such a pain here at school since it gets all over the place, especially in the sink when some of it gets siphoned out. That's one of the main reasons I'm switching substrate. I'll go look at the local petstore and see what they have though. :)
Old 03-07-2011, 12:05 PM   #8 
denaliwind

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaylorKennedy View Post
... I do like the rock garden idea but sand is such a pain here at school since it gets all over the place, especially in the sink when some of it gets siphoned out. That's one of the main reasons I'm switching substrate.
Haha, that's why I stopped using sand too. It looks so nice though... >.<;
Old 03-07-2011, 09:19 PM   #9 
SaylorKennedy

Okay, I was standing in the pet store and was like "just screw it" and got caribsea white sand. :D I also went to wallyworld and got some river rocks (3 times as many and 2 dollars cheaper than if I bought them at petco)
I figure since it's white it will blend in with the sink better so I won't feel as bad if there is some left over in the sink after I'm done. (I'm really curteous anyways and always tried to clean EVERYTHING out of the sink but you can't get it all, it gets washed down after a days use anyways.)

I'll be doing all this tomorrow since I don't have any classes on tuesdays and don't work until 5! :D

*goes to google pictures of zen/rock gardens for inspiration* if anyone finds any awesome ones with trees post them here! I need visuals and ideas!
Old 03-07-2011, 09:25 PM   #10 
denaliwind

Awesome! I can't wait to see it! It's going to look so good.