Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-06-2011, 02:34 PM   #11 
Lion Mom

Thanks for the answers.

One more question - can they be overdosed?
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 02:39 PM   #12 
LittleBettaFish

I wouldn't think so. I think it's more personal preference as to how dark you are comfortable with your water turning. I also think IAL softens the water and lowers the pH somewhat, so that might also factor in to how many leaves you need.

I wish we could get IAL more readily here but apparently customs has been seizing shipments and it costs $50.00 to get them irradiated. I make do with oak and alder leaves, and I just let those leaves rot out in my tank. The crypts seem to like having a little leaf litter around their roots, and it hasn't done sent my ammonia levels soaring or anything like that.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 03:25 PM   #13 
LolaQuigs

I ordered some from Amy a few days ago to help prevent infection/fin rot on my tail biter. I can't wait to try them out, though I'm still researching what method I want to use.

I have a question that doesn't really pertain to the original, but is still about IAL. :)

I read that, because of their pH-lowering and water softening potential, they aren't good for fish that require harder water and a higher pH (like African cichlids), but are they ok for all other freshwater fish? I was thinking of using some in a community tank with fancy guppies, cardinal tetras, and panda cories or maybe a small pleco--would the IAL be safe for all these species?
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 07:33 PM   #14 
Lion Mom

I'm glad you asked that question, Lola, because I am wondering the very same thing. Should I be using them in my guppy tanks as well as the betta tanks?

How about for angel fish? Bet they would LOVE them!!! :)
Old 03-07-2011, 12:39 AM   #15 
luvmybetta

Location: When you read my Threads, Posts, Replies, they are being sent from Kansas...Yes, I do have a Toto.
Another update: I haven't had time to use the boil method, yet; But, I wanted to try them right away. So, I rinsed just one under cold water and dropped it in the tank. Within two days I could see a difference in my male Betta. He seems to be getting even more active than normal and his color is more vivid than normal. I have used IAL's in the past on other tropicals and noticed the same reaction. I am still researching information on IAL use on other tropicals; As, I am wanting to give some leaves to another person for his mollie. But, he also has a guppy and cories and I need to find out if the leaves can be used for them. I must say that my Betta has been "hanging out" either under or right by his leaf. I do believe that he likes it in his tank just the way it is. I might not use the boil method, at all.
luvmybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:06 AM   #16 
catappa leaves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Mom View Post
How long do you leave them in before you change them out?

Also, is there a big difference in the quality between Grade A & Grade B leaves?

Thanks!
A normal and fresh IAL will takes two to three days in order to completely leach out all the useful tannic acids it contants within, floating. Once it has completely leach out the tannic, it will then sink to the bottom of your tank. In general speaking, it will still be in good shape for your fish or shrimp to enjoy their new playground for a few days before it will start to disintegrate, or decomposed. So I suggest do not leave the leaf for more then two weeks in your tank.

Because the decomposed leaves may cause problem to some filtering system, especially if you are using those Corner Filters/Box Filters, or Sponge Filter. The decomposed leaves will quickly block-up your filter and slow down the filteration and water flow in your tank.
catappa leaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:12 AM   #17 
catappa leaves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Mom View Post
How long do you leave them in before you change them out?

Also, is there a big difference in the quality between Grade A & Grade B leaves?

Thanks!
I might be a bit long winded, so I break-up my reply into two.

There are TOTALLY NO DIFFERENCE IN QUALITY between Grade A & Grade B leaves. Why some are Graded A and some are Graded B is mainly base on their Visual appearance, Grade A is a complete leaf with no damage at all, while Grade B has one or two holes here and there.
catappa leaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:19 AM   #18 
Oldfishlady

A fella by the name of Leo Buss did a Spectrographic analysis an compared Indian almond leaf and oak leaf and found that oak leaf was 99% identical to Indian almond leaf in chemical makeup......oak leaf does the same thing as IAL and the fish can't tell the difference....so, I use naturally dried and fallen Oak leaf from my oak trees for FREE.......it does take more oak leaf to get the tanned water....about 10-12 per gallon......but you will get the same results.....

Also, too hot of water can kill the antibacterial/fungal properties of both IAL and OL........so if you are using it for treatment you may not want to boil it to make tea...let it naturally steep....if all you are wanting is the tanned water boiling is fine.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 03:34 PM   #19 
Lion Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by catappa leaves View Post
I might be a bit long winded, so I break-up my reply into two.

There are TOTALLY NO DIFFERENCE IN QUALITY between Grade A & Grade B leaves. Why some are Graded A and some are Graded B is mainly base on their Visual appearance, Grade A is a complete leaf with no damage at all, while Grade B has one or two holes here and there.

Just an update - got my leaves yesterday from this seller & I am very happy with them. Here is what I put on his forum:

Got my leaves yesterday and have to say I am MORE than pleased!!! The leaves are bigger than expected, nicer than expected, shipping was faster than expected and you just can't beat FREE shipping!!!

Put them in my betta tanks this morning and the boys are LOVING them and hanging out under them.

Will purchase more from this very friendly seller as needed.

THANK YOU!!!

Here is the link if any are interested:

http://www.catappaleaves.com/Default.aspx

Personally, I think $9.95 for 50 LARGE Grade B leaves in the door all the way from Singapore is MORE than reasonable!!!

OH - and one more thing - he sent along 3 FREE sample tea bags! :)

Last edited by Lion Mom; 03-16-2011 at 03:37 PM.
Old 03-17-2011, 02:56 AM   #20 
luvmybetta

Location: When you read my Threads, Posts, Replies, they are being sent from Kansas...Yes, I do have a Toto.
LOL..They do love da leaves...Don't they? My guy can't have "his" leaves right now. His tank filter has active carbon.
luvmybetta is offline   Reply With Quote