Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-07-2011, 04:20 PM   #21 
bettamaniac

even though you guys will probably disagree with me there are aquariums that are too big for a betta. it is a very complicated thing to understand and to explain. space wise you can never have too big of an aquarium. but depth wise and in a way space wise it is possible for a tank to be too big. if you guys have ever been to the audubon aquarium of the americas and have seen that huge shark tank with the bleachers in front of it that would be too big for a betta. even though they might never go to the bottom the pressure would be far too great at the bottom. that aquarium holds thousands of gallons. imagine what the pressure is like at the bottom. the pressure would probably cause extremely large amounts of damage to the betta that it would probably be unable to move and lay at the bottom until the combination of lack of oxygen, pressure and hunger kill it. now I am just going to let you think about that for a moment.
bettamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 04:37 PM   #22 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettamaniac View Post
even though you guys will probably disagree with me there are aquariums that are too big for a betta. it is a very complicated thing to understand and to explain. space wise you can never have too big of an aquarium. but depth wise and in a way space wise it is possible for a tank to be too big. if you guys have ever been to the audubon aquarium of the americas and have seen that huge shark tank with the bleachers in front of it that would be too big for a betta. even though they might never go to the bottom the pressure would be far too great at the bottom. that aquarium holds thousands of gallons. imagine what the pressure is like at the bottom. the pressure would probably cause extremely large amounts of damage to the betta that it would probably be unable to move and lay at the bottom until the combination of lack of oxygen, pressure and hunger kill it. now I am just going to let you think about that for a moment.

Lol how is this even relevant? There is no risk of anyone putting a betta in that. Bettas don't even get that much room in the wild.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 04:43 PM   #23 
bettamaniac

I was trying to state that it is possilbe for a tank to be too big I wasnt saying soemone is gonna put a betta in that. and Im not the first person on this forum to go a little off topic.
Old 03-07-2011, 04:47 PM   #24 
turtle10

I know your not the first, but I would really appreciate it if you did stay on topic on my thread. There is no way I will ever have an aquarium that big, the biggest would probably be 200 or something, so I would prefer only information that will help me :)
Old 03-07-2011, 04:51 PM   #25 
bettamaniac

you still probably shouldnt put a betta in something like a 100 gallon though.
Old 03-07-2011, 04:53 PM   #26 
turtle10

Quote:
you still probably shouldnt put a betta in something like a 100 gallon though.
Why not? There is no reason not to.
Old 03-07-2011, 04:54 PM   #27 
bettamaniac

knowing the amount of pressure that is probably in the tank I woudlnt. the maximum size I would ever put a betta in no matter what is with it is a 50 gallon.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:00 PM   #28 
turtle10

Quote:
knowing the amount of pressure that is probably in the tank I woudlnt. the maximum size I would ever put a betta in no matter what is with it is a 50 gallon.
A betta will be perfectly fine in the 100 gallon, I honestly think the pressure is a non issue. Why would a betta not be able to handle the pressure but a tiny half inch rasbora be able? Bettas will be fine in 100 gallons, and probably live longer because of the exercise. I know of someone with a betta in a 200 gallon, so it is fine. Where did you read the pressure thing? Fish are water creatures, they are built to handle it.
Old 03-09-2011, 03:17 AM   #29 
baylee767

*Intrupts* Yes you can keep all those fish together (= I don't know if breeding on accident is a risk (wouldn't be NEARLY as aggressive though if it did happen because the male could choose the female and there'd be plenty of space to get away) (Also, I don't believe the member with the 125g ever had breeding problems)

Also, yes multiple males WILL fight. But only on the level of sorority girls, since Bettas tend to fight until they give up and they only get seriously injured in tiny tanks with no cover. And I believe males give up after a couple of nips willingly in large tanks, just kind of establishing territories and pecking order.

Also, 100 gallons is not too much pressure. In some places in rice paddies the water is multple feet deep, and they stay on the bottom there. The 10-20 foot zone seems more reasonable for too much pressure.

You should go for the mega community/sorority/male combo!! Awesomest (real word? lol) tank on Bettafish!
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 11:24 AM   #30 
turtle10

Omg I really want to do this now! It would be so amazing, I am already getting a bunch of ideas. It would also mean doing a water change on only one tank, not four!