Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-07-2011, 10:32 AM   #1 
fleetfish

VERY Worried about Valiant.

Housing
What size is your tank? About three gallons.
What temperature is your tank? 22* Celsius
Does your tank have a filter? no.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no.
Is your tank heated? Yes, with a 2 - 5g Hydor mini.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Frozen bloodworms and brineshrimp, NLS Grow and Betta Pellets, Omega One pellets.
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice daily, fasting twice a week. See below for Valiant's schedule.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Twice a week.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100% a week, 50% every three days plus spot cleaning every day.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Kent Black Water Expert, Seachem Prime, aquarium salt if needed.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
Have not tested the water ... gotta get a master kit.
Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Very bloated, floating on side, having trouble swimming. This happens only after he has eaten, and this is why I'm worried.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Has trouble swimming, is generally agitated. Resting on his side on the water surface.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Nearly three weeks ago.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? BWE, heater, and a small dosage of salt. Also have been feeding him slower, and with lesser amounts. So instead of feeding him twice daily I feed him four times with one pellet, or if it's frozen food I put it in the fridge and get it out every few hours. It's a pain in the butt, but it seems to work.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Had severe fin rot when first brought home, it is now healed very well.
How old is your fish (approximately)? I have had him for a month and a half.

So what I'm mainly worried about is that he's been bloated/constipated for almost 24 hours. By now he should be pooping and feeling better, but he's still floating and just not getting any better. I've been treating him with BWE and salt whenever this happens, and it's happened about three times since I first noticed it. Every single time after he's eaten he will become constipated/bloated. So I've decided that giving him his food slower works well, and it has. Yesterday I thought he was better so I gave him three - four bloodworms and he ate with gusto, but then I noticed his symptoms returning. I thought he'd be okay after a whole night to rest up . . . but he's STILL floating on his side. I'm really worried about him.

Other that what I'm doing (feeding slower, using BWE and salt), is there anything else that can be suggested? He's come so far from when he first came home.

I have a video uploading.
fleetfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:54 AM   #2 
Canuck Fins

22*C is only about 72*F. If you could bring the temp up to 25 to 27*C, it would be better for your fish. I'm not sure about the bloating.
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:07 AM   #3 
Oldfishlady

When you have bloating after feeding it is most likely something about the food...I would change brands.....

Since he is symptomatic with the bloat....
I would start a 10 day Epsom salt(Not aquarium salt) treatment on him.

Put him in a small QT container that can be floated in the heated tank (attached to the side so it doesn't sink)
Get a clean 1gal jug and fill with dechlorinated water of like temp and add 1tsp/gal Epsom salt(Not aquarium salt) use this water for 100% daily water changes for 2 days-then increase the Epsom salt 2tsp/gal and continue the 100% daily water changes with this water for 7 more days-pre mixing the treatment water will help make water changes and correct dosage easier

Hold all food for the first 3 days and then offer half feeding twice-three times a day during treatment or to his tolerance.....

Maintain water temp in the 76-78F range

You can also add tannins to the Epsom salt treatment water from either-naturally dried and fallen from the tree Oak leaf (10-12 crushed/gal) or Indian almond leaf -let one of these steep in the treatment water for at least 1 hour before use-the longer it steeps the more tannins released the dark the water the more the Betta will like it...shake well before use

Make sure the pre-mix treatment water is within a couple of degree in temp between the QT water-so not to cause temp shock problems.

Covering the top of the QT container with plastic veggie wrap will also help by keeping the air above the water warm and humid for the labyrinth organ.

With some chronic bloating issues you may have to keep him in low doses of Epsom salt or repeat the treatment as needed-but I would try the change of fish food brand first.

Good luck and keep us posted....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:29 AM   #4 
fleetfish

Thanks. I'll try to get my hands on some almond leaf since it's impossible to get oak at this time of year. What kind of food brands would I be looking for?
Old 03-07-2011, 11:50 AM   #5 
denaliwind

It might just be one of the current brands you're feeding him, not all. Perhaps after fasting him as Oldfishlady instructed you could just feed him the frozen food and see how he reacts, I can't imagine him bloating from that food as long as he's not overfed. Then the next day you could introduce one of your pellet brands and see how he reacts. If he doesn't bloat then maybe you could just stick with that and the frozen food. I'm not sure if you want to take the risk however of having him bloat up again. :/ What are the first two ingredients listed in your different pellet brands? If they're not fish/meat based then perhaps that would be a good brand to toss out. I believe the risk of digestion problems are increased when feeding pellet or flake food. Do you soak your pellets first? That would be a good precaution to take. I personally only feed frozen/live, but I'm no expert, this is just from personal experience. >.<;

Good luck with your little guy and I hope he's feeling well soon.

Last edited by denaliwind; 03-07-2011 at 11:53 AM.
denaliwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:55 AM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Look for foods that use whole fish or fish meal that is processed from whole fish in the first and second listed ingredients...like Herring, krill, mussels, squid

Too high in grains can be hard for them to digest causing pathogenic bacteria to multiply in the gut resulting in bloat
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 12:05 PM   #7 
fleetfish

Both of the brands are high in protein and have whole fish listed as first, second and third ingredients. Ingredients are something that I'm very careful about. Maybe he's just over sensitive to the wheat flour. But I fed him frozen bloodworms last night which have no grains in them (I hope) and he bloated. So this is where I'm still a little confused. I guess I'll just stick to my regime of feeding him slowly (and also your advice, OFL) ... and not really obsess over it, but it's still bugging me.

I couldn't get the video to upload but here he is . . . .

Last edited by fleetfish; 03-07-2011 at 12:17 PM.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:55 PM   #8 
Thunderloon

Is he a crown-tail?

Omega one pellets haven't given me any trouble.
Are you touching his food? Try using tweezers or a little tiny spoon.

If the epsom salt treatments don't work I'd suggest a full treatment of Nitrofurazone Furazolidone. Its called Furan-2 but you can get it as Jungle Fungus Clear. They're wide spectrum biocides that inhibit certain functions in single cell organism and also dna crosslink. Its our first go-to antibiotic and does well along side other treatments. The tablets can be snapped into pieces, half for 5g, quarter for 2.5g etc.

Crown tails suffer from excessive appetite and will stuff themselves to death if you let them, I've come to believe that the crown mutation effects their intestinal tract as well. Make sure he's not eating rocks/dirt/plant fiber/silk from fake plants and so on.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote