Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-07-2011, 02:51 PM   #11 
cjayBetta

It is expensive because you need to buy them live food and also you need to buy like 100 containers for the little betta fry when they get a little older because they need to be seperated. Also before breeding the Betta's you need to be feeding them high protien live foods and what not. Plus you need a 5-10 gallon tank aswell. There is a lot that I am missing aswell I am sure.
cjayBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:44 PM   #12 
Thunderloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by studmuffin View Post
hi, i am new on this forum and i need some help on my female and male betta. my female betta has a bent spine and when she swims she continues to have the bent spine. what does this mean? Also, my male betta is swimming okay, however, his tail is not full like it should be and when he swims it just stays together as if its stuck together. and the coloration on the male is changing/fading towards his head and upper fin area, almost like its in patches. can someone please help me out?

If the female cannot unbend her back, she is likely permanently injured from an infection. The same infection could be affecting the male.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:35 PM   #13 
studmuffin

wow this is way more than complicated than i thought. the guy at the pet store made it sound like its a easy process. i never expected to buy 100 tanks for them. i know i am going off topic but do you have any advice on my male betta? read the top threads to understand what i am talking about.
studmuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:38 PM   #14 
denaliwind

Quote:
Originally Posted by studmuffin View Post
wow this is way more than complicated than i thought. the guy at the pet store made it sound like its a easy process. i never expected to buy 100 tanks for them. i know i am going off topic but do you have any advice on my male betta? read the top threads to understand what i am talking about.
I get the feeling that most pet store employees just say things to make a sell and know nothing of the actual care and upkeep of the animals they sell. :(

Getting a heater and doing at the very least 100% water changes every 5 days with a 50% change in between might be a good place to start (others will probably suggest more). 2-3 weeks in between water changes is way too long for a tank that size and water conditions are a huge factor in the well being of any fish.

Good luck!
denaliwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:31 PM   #15 
PewPewPew

Clamped fins is what it sounds like for the male.
Do a water change, and do it right now.
Do one every day, 100% changes, until you get a new tank.
You need another tank. Like, now. With a heater, a heater for both.
With the regular changes, maybe things will get better, I cant really say. Maybe another member with experience with that will come along.

But you HAVE TO DO THOSE CHANGES, AND DO THEM EVERY DAY.
With water conditioner, the works.

Edit: Denali, The tank, with those changes, with only one fish, is bordering on too little. Even worse for two fish.

Last edited by PewPewPew; 03-07-2011 at 11:33 PM.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 12:26 AM   #16 
bettafish15

Quote:
Originally Posted by PewPewPew View Post
Clamped fins is what it sounds like for the male.
Do a water change, and do it right now.
Do one every day, 100% changes, until you get a new tank.
You need another tank. Like, now. With a heater, a heater for both.
With the regular changes, maybe things will get better, I cant really say. Maybe another member with experience with that will come along.

But you HAVE TO DO THOSE CHANGES, AND DO THEM EVERY DAY.
With water conditioner, the works.

Edit: Denali, The tank, with those changes, with only one fish, is bordering on too little. Even worse for two fish.
+1.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 05:36 PM   #17 
studmuffin

My male betta still have i guess clamped fins. What is that from? However, he is swimming okay and is more active. But his fins have not been full like they used to be. I was wondering if it was because he was trying to "show off'" to the female.
studmuffin is offline   Reply With Quote