Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-07-2011, 09:52 PM   #1 
Malvolti

How to treat fungus? A desperate plea.

So my boy Domino still has a nasty fungus infection. It's been over 2 months that I've been trying treatments and I've literally used every medication available (fungal and bacterial), as well as every natural remedy I can find. I'm starting to get desperate.

I went to a LFS nearby that I trust. The man there always gives me great advice and I figure I have nothing to lose. I asked him what I can do to treat this thing. He told me that what he does in extreme cases is to take the fish out, crush up a Nitrofurazone tablet and apply it directly to the spots as a paste. Give the paste 10 seconds to set then put the fish back in the tank. Do this daily for 3-4 days.

I know the betta can survive outside the tank for a little but I want to know the best way to try this and cause the smallest amount of damage to the fish, preferrably none. I know I can't just grab him out and do this, I'd be better to just euthanize him.

What else can I do?

The boy is still very active (and extremely aggressive) so I know he isn't ready to be euthanized and I want to do everything in my power to make him better. I'm not ready to give up on him yet as I'm sure he isn't ready to give up. I just want to give him the best possible chance to survive the treatment.
Malvolti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 01:54 AM   #2 
Malvolti

Well, it may not matter for long.

When I posted this he was his normal self. I was just doing his daily water change and he was laying on the bottom not miving and extremely pale. I gently nudged him with the vacuum and he kinda fell over then slowly floated back to an upright position. He didn't twitch or flinch.

I ended up doing a 98% water change because I didn't want to risk stressing him in the off chance he is still alive but I'm pretty much out of hope at this point.

We'll see how (if) he is in the morning I guess.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:12 PM   #3 
Malvolti

As of this morning Domino had definitely passed. I'll miss the little guy but I knew this was a possibility when I picked him up in that store.

Time to make sure I super-cleanse all my equipment to make sure I never see a trace of this apparently untreatable fungus again. I'd hate to see it passed on to another fish.