Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-08-2011, 02:21 PM   #1 
carzz

What's wrong with Nick?!

Okay, so just moments ago, while observing a sick betta, I noticed my other fish, Nick (also betta) has lost almost ALL of his color!!! He doesn't look hurt, or sick or anything. The only things are:
-he is almost white now!
-he has a red line near his bottom fin, like a blood line.
PLEASE HELP ME!!!
Pictures for better description:

U/1M-DJD34FE8/s1600/nick2.JPG[/IMG]
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-K...s1600/nick.JPG

PLEASE PLEASE HELP!!!!

Last edited by carzz; 03-08-2011 at 02:24 PM.
carzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 02:26 PM   #2 
PewPewPew

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?

Answer these.

So he's become pale like the first pictures, compared to the bottom picture?

If the tank is not heated, he is probably cold and stressed.

They pale when stressed out, cold or frightened.

This isnt a death sentence, though I would certainly monitor his behavoir and health. Keep him in a dark space to relax. If not using any medications, Id put a bit less than a tsp/gallon of Aquarium salt in with him.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 02:44 PM   #3 
carzz

Housing
What size is your tank? Maybe a gallon?
What temperature is your tank? I keep my room at 75 degrees, the heater is right in front of them.
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? besides a normal room heater, no
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none. alone.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? freeze dried blood worms
How often do you feed your betta fish? every night

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? maybe every four or five days. or if it happens to become dirty before then
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? none.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? no...?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? color is gone.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? it hasnt, or not that i noticed
When did you start noticing the symptoms? an hour ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? no. I don't know how.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no
How old is your fish (approximately)? I bought him a few months ago.

Answer these.

So he's become pale like the first pictures, compared to the bottom picture? Yes. He is normally very very red, and beautiful. But he is almost white (the pictures make him look more red then what he is)

If the tank is not heated, he is probably cold and stressed. Its room temp. ? I let my water sit out for a week before I use it.

They pale when stressed out, cold or frightened.

This isnt a death sentence, though I would certainly monitor his behavoir and health. Keep him in a dark space to relax. If not using any medications, Id put a bit less than a tsp/gallon of Aquarium salt in with him.
THANK YOU!
Do you think it could be the lamp I keep over him? I keep it over all my bettas though.......
Old 03-08-2011, 02:55 PM   #4 
PewPewPew

Your water needs to be changed every day, or at the very least 50% one day, 100% the next. Your betta is likley sick from ammonia building up in the tank from it being dirty, causing him pain. When you "see" it being dirty, this is AWFUL, the tank is much worse than you think. Even a clean looking tank can be very bad.

Freeze dried blood worms are a SNACK, not a food that should be fed long term. Get pellets, stop feeding the worms except (maybe) once a week in place of a meal.

75' is a bit too cold. Please invest in a heater, and possibly a bigger tank, if possible.

You could do the lamp thing, but please, this should only be temporary. This will warm him up.

Your betta, Id say, is sick only from your water. Begin changing the water every day or 50% then 100%. Please buy water conditioner/dechlorinator, instead of having it sit out. This will make things much easier. Its a few bucks.

Id say to do this:
Go out, buy pellets, dechlorinator, a heater, a slightly larger tank (try for 2 gallons, you can even get a glass thing that still looks like yours), and aquarium salt, and a thermometer. Minus the tank (its up to you on that), all this could be under $30 if you shop right!

Change his water right now, please. If your new water is the same temp as his, thats fine. Do it again tomorrow. Keep him nice and warm. then get that other stuff to ensure he's as happy as he can be.
Old 03-08-2011, 02:58 PM   #5 
PewPewPew

Oh, and no- the lamp is not stressing him. At least, not in light of the other factors. Try keeping a dark peice of paper over the tank to keep the light less, but dont let it hit the paper- its a fire hazard. This will warm him.

When/if you get the aquarium salt, put a pinch (small) or half a tsp into your tank. It is usually 1tsp/gallon, but since youre not super sure of the measurements, Id do less.
Old 03-08-2011, 03:00 PM   #6 
carzz

I just changed it, 2 days ago. And I promise, it's not dirty. I remove food 3 minutes after they eat. But I will try getting new food, and keeping their water cleaner. (When I say, When it looks dirty, I mean, slightly dirty. Not starting to brown-up.) But I will try this, thanks.
What temp. do you suggest?
Old 03-08-2011, 03:07 PM   #7 
PewPewPew

And I promise that it is.

You cant see ammonia, but that does not mean it isnt there.

Its good you do that, but the water needs to be changed. Once nommed, it is excreted out of the gills as well as the rectum as poo and whatnot- which is ammonia.

Change the water, this will help your betta.

I suggest a water temp (for living) of around 77-82', ideally. If you can manage without a heater to keep the temp. at a stable 76-8, that's pretty good. You said the water is left out, that you replace it with? Id assume its around room temp like the water he lives in, which makes water changes easier. Slowly let him acclimate to the new water, however. bob in a bag or cup of the old water, slowly adding the new for about 5-10minutes.

Youll notice your fish getting better slowly with better water- his color will come back to him, for sure.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:12 PM   #8 
tokala

Yes, I agree with Pew on all of the above. Good for you for taking care of your fish and taking initiative to heal him up. But daily water changes really is nesseccary in a tank that small. They say the rule of thumb is 1 gallon per 1 inch of fish due to the amount of waste a fish that size produces (not just poo, but also ammonia). That is why 2.5G is recommended to be the smallest since bettas are about 2.5 inches long. If you are unable to provide a 2.5 Gal tank or bigger, then it just means a little more work on your part :) Its like keeping a dog in a small pen- you will have to clean up the poo more often so he isn't living in it. The only difference with fish is that you can't actually see all that waste!
I think with the more frequent water changes and a heater (and in the most ideal situation a bigger tank), along with all the other things recommended above, he will start feeling a LOT better! Good Luck!
tokala is offline   Reply With Quote