Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-08-2011, 03:54 PM   #1 
IamOpening

Plants for a Betta Tank

Hi everyone,

I don't know if there is a thread for this already. If there is, perhaps I can be given the link.

I am wondering what plants would be good to put in a 5 gallon betta tank. My tank has not arrived in the mail yet (grr...) but when it does I intend to buy plants and at least one ghost shrimp. What plants would be good for hiding spots, and possibly for food (algae growth, etc)?

Thank you.
IamOpening is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 04:37 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Just about any live aquatic plant will be fine for the Betta, however, depending on your lights-some plants may not do well....I would start with low light plants like java fern, anubias, crypts, java moss, naja grass to name a few that will do well in low light tanks.

As far a producing algae-normally any container of water that has both nutrients and lights will produce algae for the shrimp along with some added food or any left over food from the Betta will be happily eaten by the shrimp.

Look forward to pic once you get your new tank setup.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 04:52 PM   #3 
Canuck Fins

I love my java fern in my 5G. I've also got wisteria and aquatic bacopa. I'm debating whether to get a better bulb (higher lumens.)
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:26 PM   #4 
IamOpening

Ah, thank you for your responses! I think I will go with a java fern! :)
My 5 gallon hex tank just shipped! I am so excited to get it all set up in a few days! :)
IamOpening is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:14 PM   #5 
TaylorW

Yay, glad you decided on a java fern! :D I keep one in my dorm with just the light from a desk lamp, and it now has sprouted TONS of baby plants! These things are super easy to care for and are practically indestructible :P

I might be exaggerating a bit, but since I managed to kill my marimo ball (which was supposed to be hard to kill), I think java ferns are definitely good to start with if you have a brown thumb like me :P
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote