Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-09-2011, 12:23 PM   #1 
LisaLB24

Is fin rot contagious?

I have had a male delta for about 6 months now who has always been very healthy. I've always kept his water pristine and he has never had any issues.

Recently I started a sorority and had one female with some severe fin rot when I got her. She is being treated with jungle fungus eliminator and is making an AWESOME recovery.

Anyhoo... my male is now starting to show the beginings of fin rot. I'm afraid that using the gravel vac in the sick tank might have contaminated his tank? Is that possible? What causes fin rot other than poor water? If this is the case are all my tanks in jeopardy?

Thanks for any advice!
Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5g
What temperature is your tank? 79
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? planted
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? pellets with the occasional bloodworm or flakes
How often do you feed your betta fish? 3 pellets twice a day, fasting one meal on saturdays, sub one feeding per week with 2-3 bloodworms.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? 3x week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%, 50%, 100% with full tank/gravel cleaning
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? prime
Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:0
pH:7.4
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? slight fin rot, tail looks a little tattered on ends
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? none
When did you start noticing the symptoms? last night
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? yes, 100% water change and added jungle fungus eliminator
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no
How old is your fish (approximately)? a year? I've had him 6 months
LisaLB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 07:24 PM   #2 
turtle10

The bacteria that causes is can spread. It is recommended in fish keeping that siphons and other tools be used only for one tank or to be washed thoroughly in between tanks. For example, I siphoned my 20 yesterday. Today I washed it with very very hot water so I could siphon my 10. This way no water or anything is exchanged. Since you water and water change schedule seem fine, I am almost positive the bacteria transferred from the female to the male somehow.

If you used the siphon on the other tanks I would do a large water change and keep an eye on the fish, making sure not to cross-contaminate. A fish's immune system should be able to keep them safe, but sometimes they become vulnerable to disease due to stress or other factors.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 10:07 AM   #3 
LisaLB24

Ughhh. I was afraid of that. I do all my water changes on the same nights and never wash the siphon (facepalm). My red male looks fine but he's in a cycled 10 gallon so maybe not enouh bacteria transferred over. But the boy in the 2.5 uncycled is definately showing early signs of fin rot :(
Let's hope this fungus eliminator knocks it out before any real damage is done. Thanks!
LisaLB24 is offline   Reply With Quote