Originally Posted by turtle10
Also don't use the ph stuff, it does more harm than good. A betta will adjust to basically any ph.
For the most part yes. Some tap water comes out with pH over 8.5.
I've been using Seachem's Neutral Regulator with standard 2drop per gallon prime. Marvelous stuff.
More than 48 hours without fresh water change + wash-down and your tank will start to cycle, producing nitrite. The bacteria are natural but will grow on anything, including your fish. Nitrite is a very deadly toxin and will kill almost all fish quickly, betta don't immediately show a problem because they breath in air. Nitrite is much like carbon monoxide - you don't realize there is an issue until you are dying.
Don't feed the daily all at once, spread it out. If there is a timing concern then get a small pill box that has days of the week on it and put the daily feedings in each box. This will keep "oh, he looks hungry, I hope he doesn't explode" from happening.
Overfeeding causes even more ammonia to enter the tank.
Because Betta breathe air, they are exposed to our pesticides, perfumes, dust, fumes, grease and smoke. All are unhealthy for any fish but the Betta actually breathes them in. If you are getting a surface scum on your tank within 2 days of a water change, your house environment is unclean. Not saying filthy just not clean for fish. The way Betta get their breath is by cycling air and a little water into a tiny nose-like organ in their head called a Labyrinth. Anything on the surface of the water can be pulled in.
If its in the tank and acts like food, they'll try to eat it. Dandruff, fire ants, roaches, cat claws. Doesn't matter, mister flares is gonna try it.
Your Betta is not hungry; he is a pig. Never exceed their eye size in food a day, spread the feedings out.
Chlorine, Chloramine: Recently most municipality have started using "chloramine" which if not specifically treated for will become ammonia when the little water treatment drops swallow the chlorine. Its like punching your child in the face each morning before school.
If you are at or exceeding your tank's biological load, you MUST aerate. Anerobic bacteria are nasty polluters and they will grow fast in reducing environments. Its like doubling your fish count.
The picture of light-through-tail looks like a dissolving fish, the tissues are not able to stand up to the chemistry in the water for some reason.
I'd start doing daily 50% water changes carefully then read up immediately on the nitrogen cycle.
When you overload even biologically filtered tanks with strong bacteria colonies you still risk hurting your fish. There are cycles beyond the simple Nitrification cycle which can be just as or more deadly when pushed too far.