Old 03-10-2011, 03:27 AM   #1 
christina

Sporadic behavior in New Tank

Quote:
Housing
What size is your tank? 5.5 gallon
What temperature is your tank? about 78
Does your tank have a filter? Soon, but not yet
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no, but not air-tight tank
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? twice a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? With 1 Gallon every other day, but new tank
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Declorinator

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: Unknown (But clean, fresh water)
Nitrite: ""
Nitrate: ""
pH: High, but same as fish is used to
Hardness: Hard water from tap
Alkalinity: Fairly Alkaline (I assume, only tested tap water, not how it is in the tank)

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? None that I can tell.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? flaring more than normal, Jarred swimming, running into aquarium, general anxiousness.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? A while after changing tanks, at first he just was exploring everything.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No, just waiting to see if there is a change.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Not that I know of
How old is your fish (approximately)? New from Petstore about a week ago.

I gave my Betta a bigger tank, from 1 Gallon to 5.5, nearly nothing has changed aside from a new tank, a bigger heater, more gravel, and fresh water. However, when I put him in he started acting REALLY strangely. He started swimming jerkily, running into the aquarium walls, and generally acting nervous. It has only been a few hours since I (at least tried to...) get him acclimated, but I'm curious how long I should wait before getting worried. I know that they tend to act like this when the water isn't good or if they have a bacterial infection, but as of now I'm attributing it to being stressed about the new tank. However, he seems to be getting more agitated, not less. I'm really worried there is something wrong with the water or the tank releasing chemicals or something. (I did clean it before I set it up) Any advice?

Last edited by christina; 03-10-2011 at 03:46 AM. Reason: *Requested information from Stickie added*
christina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 10:02 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

I would go ahead and make a 50% water change and use a little extra dechlorinator for the next couple of days and see if that will help...if not, I would put him back in the 1gal and slowly acclimate him back to the 5gal...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 03:41 PM   #3 
christina

Alright I'll do that.

Question though, if dechlorinater is supposed to get rid of all the chlorine... what would adding more do? I heard even small amounts were toxic.

(Update on his condition: Scared like crazy of me, and still really spookish, hiding a lot, and still swimming jerkishly... but seems to be a little less disoriented (Noticed it only when I was doing 50% water change) and closer to Lethargic compared to how he was in his 1 Gallon. He's not eating, and he has no history of turning down food. Even the first day I got him.)

Last edited by christina; 03-10-2011 at 03:51 PM.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:20 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Some dechlorinator instruct to use twice as much if you have both chlorine and chloramines in your water-it usually binds the additives in the treated city water so it is not harmful to the fish....it hard to overdose, however, you don't want to add 100gal worth to 2gal...that could be toxic, also the products that also have the aloe added can impede gill function in really high doses and care needs to be made with that.....often this kind of behavior can be related to some type of irritant in the water-its best to rule out the environment as the cause.......either the water itself and in some cases it the space.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 07:14 PM   #5 
christina

Thank you :)

... So, I'm going to make an assumption and correct me if I'm wrong. The filter and Driftwood I was planning to put in the fish tank should probably wait until he starts acting normally.