Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-05-2011, 11:22 AM   #1 
Tygh

Cleaning Herbert's Habitat

I have a blue-black VT in a 3gal tank with a filter and heater, and two artificial plants. After doing a few single gallon water changes, I thought I'd do a full tank, clean the gravel and plants.

Catching Herbert was a HORRIBLE experience! I catch birds all the time and can do it without much fuss or stress, but Herbert nearly had me in tears and I can tell you he pouted for 3 days, hung out over his heater, and wouldn't act normally for the entire week.

He's back to normal now, and I am hesitant to upset him that way again. There has to be a simpler way to do this, that doesn't freak the poor thing out. Further, how do you bring 3 gallons of reserved water up to temperature prior to reintroducing the fish?

TIA,
Tygh
Tygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 11:27 AM   #2 
GienahClarette

Is he in the tank when you clean it or do you have him outside of the tank?
GienahClarette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 05:36 PM   #3 
Tygh

Quote:
Originally Posted by GienahClarette View Post
Is he in the tank when you clean it or do you have him outside of the tank?
You can clean the tank with him IN it??? I don't get it....I thought I was supposed to do a complete water change, plus scrub the tank and stuff. I caught him iwth a little net after much chasing and fussing.
Old 03-05-2011, 05:39 PM   #4 
bettafish15

If you absolutely need to take him out of the tank, catching him with a cup (like the one he probably came in) is the least stressfull. One they're near the surface, you just scoop them up, and put them in their holding container while your cleaning the tank. (Unless the cup is his holding container)
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 05:50 PM   #5 
GienahClarette

I do 50% changes very often, instead of 100% changes. But, yeah, definitely take him out for the big washes. :)

I'm not sure what else you could do there, sorry. =/
GienahClarette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 07:28 PM   #6 
PewPewPew

You dont need to "scrub" the tank unless its getting nasty. As long as it can swim, he can stay. If youre vacuuming and it could suck him up, remove him.
Trick him, if you want, by luring him to the top will a small nom of some sort and cup the poor thing, lol.
Its not always easy, I have tons of trouble!
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 08:01 PM   #7 
Lion Mom

You said in your original post that the tank is filtered. If so, you shouldn't be doing 100% water changes. Since you will only be doing partial changes - and, yes, be careful not to suck him up - he can stay in the tank.
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:20 AM   #8 
Tygh

Thanks for replies, all! Okay, filtered so I don't have to worry about doing this to him too often. Catch in a cup instead of net...will do.

I don't have a vacuum, but what I've been doing is using a siphon to remove water, then pour in a similar amt of room temp water. This was just a bit more involved that I thought it would be!
Old 03-07-2011, 12:16 PM   #9 
Lion Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tygh View Post
Thanks for replies, all! Okay, filtered so I don't have to worry about doing this to him too often. Catch in a cup instead of net...will do.

I don't have a vacuum, but what I've been doing is using a siphon to remove water, then pour in a similar amt of room temp water. This was just a bit more involved that I thought it would be!
A siphon and vacuum are the same thing - just two different names for it.
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 09:18 PM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

A cycled tank doesn't need to be changed 100%.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote