Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-07-2011, 08:28 PM   #1 
k2ofcu

H/T set up treatment quart in heated tank

I've been advised (by the AWESOME OldFishLady) to set up a one quart treatment container within my regular heated tank, with recommendations to clip it to the side to keep it stable.
So that I don't tie up dear OldFishLady's time (who is likely needed on emergencies, etc.)- I wanted to put this question 'out there' to find out how folks accomplish this in their setups.
Bet there are some wonderful ideas out there- kindly please share!
THANKS!

(FWIW- I've got the treatment solution warming in a click-zip bag floating in my tank (to get the temp equilibrated while I figure this out!))
k2ofcu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 09:18 PM   #2 
k2ofcu

Ok- just want to share pics of my hospital tank - I think it's pretty useful, as I'm watching my lil' betta sitting contentedly on his betta hammock in it (so am assuming it can't be so bad?)

Note: normally it's covered to keep air above water hydrated- cover removed for pics only

Overview- sitting in heated home tank (attached by hair clips).
Name:  Hospital Tank Setup Overview March 2011.jpg
Views: 2924
Size:  112.9 KB

Detail showing hospital tank that is wider than deep, with aerator, and betta hammock for comfort and support:
Name:  Hospital Tank Setup Detail March 2011.jpg
Views: 3041
Size:  109.4 KB

Side view of hospital tank in heated home tank
Name:  Hospital Tank Setup Side View March 2011.jpg
Views: 539
Size:  77.8 KB
Old 03-10-2011, 09:20 PM   #3 
PewPewPew

It looks great. That's what she means! Just make sure he cant make a leap for it or anything. Best wishes!
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 02:13 PM   #4 
k2ofcu

Quote:
Originally Posted by PewPewPew View Post
It looks great. That's what she means! Just make sure he cant make a leap for it or anything. Best wishes!
Thanks so much for your kind words!

Nope- can't make a leap (removed the purple top for pictures but it's on under normal conditions)- or, if he does, it would be back into his original tank!
It's a tupperware-type top, but I don't have it attached as normal (too tight of a seal imho.
As such, it's inverted and balanced on the top of the tank-slightly offset by the clips, but I've adjusted it that any (minor) gaps face into the tank (and not out toward the 'great outdoors'.

I think he's very comforted by the hammock- provides him a place to rest in the otherwise boring tank (save for the gently bubbling airstone).
Makes ME feel better, anyway! lol

Thanks again!
Old 03-12-2011, 11:19 PM   #5 
PewPewPew

Welcome! :D
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 12:20 AM   #6 
rue721

That QT tank looks fantastic to my novice eye :).

I've got the same leaf hammock in my betta's QT, and I know it has made has made a huge difference in his convalescence. Before I got it, the little guy was circling around, scared and disoriented, all night. As soon as I attached that leaf he seemed a million times better.

He's laying on it right now (well, actually on the suction cup, but he's been so ill for the last few days that I'll take what I can get in terms of "happy" behavior :P). He also likes to hide under it when he's scared.

I think that as long as your fish has got a soft bed, a hiding place, and a little air, he's probably as comfortable as he can be :).
rue721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 09:25 PM   #7 
k2ofcu

Quote:
Originally Posted by rue721 View Post
That QT tank looks fantastic to my novice eye :).

I've got the same leaf hammock in my betta's QT, and I know it has made has made a huge difference in his convalescence. Before I got it, the little guy was circling around, scared and disoriented, all night. As soon as I attached that leaf he seemed a million times better.

He's laying on it right now (well, actually on the suction cup, but he's been so ill for the last few days that I'll take what I can get in terms of "happy" behavior :P). He also likes to hide under it when he's scared.

I think that as long as your fish has got a soft bed, a hiding place, and a little air, he's probably as comfortable as he can be :).
Thanks for your kind words!
So glad that your little one is finding comfort, too! -thanks to you!

Funny- just did a 50% water change & noticed that he was a bit too 'busy' in there (though it was quiet/dark for most of the day). I just took a little bit of water out (since it seemed a bit deeper than before), and he's settled back onto his little hammock (must have been too deep for his lordship! lol)

Last edited by k2ofcu; 03-13-2011 at 09:30 PM. Reason: added a thought! :)
Old 03-13-2011, 10:09 PM   #8 
gmd1800

Question - could you use a breeder for QT?

Something like this: http://www.petco.com/product/7449/Le...0Breeders-7449

It doesn't say how large it is, so I don't know if it's one quart or not.
gmd1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 12:44 AM   #9 
k2ofcu

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd1800 View Post
Question - could you use a breeder for QT?

Something like this: http://www.petco.com/product/7449/Le...0Breeders-7449

It doesn't say how large it is, so I don't know if it's one quart or not.
Hm- interesting!
However, I don't have enough experience to comment.

One thing I like about my current setup is that it's longer than it is deep- so he has some swimming space & it's also not so deep that he has to expend a lot of energy to breathe (though resting on his hammock helps that, too).