Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-11-2011, 04:35 AM   #1 
reaper0325

Damselfly & Dragonfly larvae decimating my fry

Just this morning I noticed that I no longer have the usual congregation of fry on the surface of my outdoor grow-out basins. I decided to investigate and I found these:

(image copied from Frog End Wildlife Blog)

Lots of these carnivorous larvae preying on my dear fry.
I am very devastated with these creatures decimating my fry. In one tub where i grouped all of my biggest fry, only two fry remain. :(

This is a picture of an outdoor basin that I have.
Right now I resort to removing the predators one by one with an asepto syringe. Any other idea to spare the rest of my remaining fry from this disaster? Useful advice from other breeders who have dealt with a similar situation will be very greatly appreciated. Thank you.
reaper0325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 09:33 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

When I spawn outside-I keep both the males and females with the fry until everyone goes in the house....the adults can and well eat the larva....

One of down falls of natural or outside keeping.....I have also been hit by these larva in my inside tanks too...since I feed lots of critters that I collect in outside rain buckets I will get one of these larva or two-they are hard to tell what they are when tiny and if they are missed and not eaten they will hide out and grow-up...lol.....feeding on not just the fry but the shrimp too....nearly wiped out my yellow shrimp last year until I tracked it down and killed it...lol......it just some of the risk that I am willing to take so I can provide good nutrition.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 03:50 AM   #3 
reaper0325

I tried to remove all the predators with an asepto syringe (photo below) and added a screen on the tubs.. But I fear that there are still some of them hiding in the water and just waiting to grow. :(

Old 03-12-2011, 04:32 AM   #4 
reaper0325

The cellphone is for scale so you will know the size of both the set-up and the net.

I placed the nets after trying to remove all the larva I can find. I hope I removed them all. But i doubt it. :(