Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-11-2011, 07:08 PM   #1 
1fish2fish

BBS Question

Do you HAVE to have a light on the BBS for them to hatch? I can't remember if it was necessary or not.

Seeing as how all my spawning stuff is in my bedroom I can't have a light shining all night long so I was wondering if there is another way to hatch BBS without a light?
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 07:20 PM   #2 
MrVampire181

Nah. I just set mine up and put a bright light on it for a few hours before I go to bed and they still hatch..IMO not needed.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 08:10 PM   #3 
vilmarisv

Not at all. The light is just to keep a warmer water temperature if your water is too cold at room temp.
I leave them at room temp w/ no light on and they still hatch.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 09:25 PM   #4 
1fish2fish

I'll set up a practice hatch tomorrow and see what I get. I can always put a small heater in the hatchery if I don't get good results at room temperature.

If I do 2 hatches 12 hours apart the day one won't be an issue because I usually leave a lamp on during the day anyways.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:05 PM   #5 
Dragonlady

They don't need light to hatch,but light is very helpful to collect them without their eggshells. Newly hatched brine shrimp are phototrophoic(Ithink) or attracted to light.
Dragonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 10:47 PM   #6 
NIB BETTA

I never use a light and mine hatch just fine.
NIB BETTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 01:17 AM   #7 
indjo
TFK Moderator

This is a method my friend uses to make collecting easier (when using an up side down plastic bottle) - connect the cap with a short airline tube fixed with sealant and use a valve on it. Connect this tube to the airpump tube.

When you're ready to harvest, close the valve and disconnect the airpump tube. Then shine a flashlight to the bottom so the bbs would gather at the bottom. The eggshells usually float so they're at the surface. Then open the valve and let the bbs flow out to a fine net or something.You should have bbs only - without the eggshells.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 06:26 AM   #8 
1fish2fish

I'll have to try that.. It sounds like a lot less hassel than using a turkey baster to suck some up.

I was going to set a hatch up this morning but I forgot with all this spring foward faall back nonsense. I'll set one up around 9pm tonight.

Kids are going in the spawning tub tonight so I have a good while to get back into the swing of hatching bbs. I did it with my very first spawn but found worms easier. Hoping BBS speeds up my fry growth
Old 03-12-2011, 09:16 AM   #9 
indjo
TFK Moderator

In terms of fry growth, worms should be better. I have never used micro or vinegar but an endless supply of tubifex makes their bodies grow massive, not giving a chance for fin development.

BBS - daphnia - shrimps are said to make fry more ..... bulky(?) with equal fin growth. Many local breeders who sells their fry would not use worms for this reason. They need fry to have gorgeous, fully developed fins with bright colors by the age of 2 months. Otherwise these breeders would have to care for their products much longer.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 09:37 AM   #10 
Oldfishlady

I don't use any added heat or light on my hatchery...I use a less than a gallon size plastic peanut container that I drilled a hole in the lid for the airline hose and air stone....I start my water out at 84-85F add about half cap of BBS eggs to the salt water (3tlb of pickling salt), stir, add the air stone and I place it in my china cabinet and will have 75-85% hatch within 24-28h-95-100% hatch in another 8h...more or less

To harvest-I remove the lid and airstone and place the container on top of one of my aquarium lights in front of a window for light and within 5-10 minutes the shells have settled and the BBS are gathered in either the top or bottom corner...I use my handy homemade siphon I made with airline hose and chop stick and siphon them into a brine shrimp net that I have sitting over an empty container to catch the water......I then dump the salt water back into the BBS hatchery put the airstone and lid back on it in the cabinet and take my newly hatched BBS and rinse well under running water, I fill the catch container with fresh water to float the BBS while in the brine shrimp net and use an eye dropper and feed the fry......

Its important to rinse the BBS well and never use the BBS hatch water in the fry tank..its full of bacteria.....you can end up with illness especially velvet....and try not to get any BBS shells in the fry tank and this can be a challenge...if they eat too many shells they can get blocked up and you will start to see floaters and/or swimming/buoyancy issues.

Once the BBS absorb their yolk sac they have very little nutrition-
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote