Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-07-2011, 10:40 AM   #1 
Canuck Fins

Unhappy Tank with Dead Fish?

Sadly, my beautiful Scout was dead in the tank this morning. I'd only had him since Saturday and I have no idea why he died. I checked the tank parameters on Saturday night and Sunday night (ammonia and nitrites at zero, nitrates between 5 and 10ppm). The tank has been reading 78*. He was flaring and active Saturday, but on Sunday he spent a lot of time on the bottom of his tank although he did come up occasionally and swim some. He ate a bit at 10am, but nothing at 7pm. Aside from being inactive, he showed no signs of problems and when I looked at his limp little fish body after pulling it out of the tank, there is no fungus or any discolouration on him. I'm quite sad.

So we will get another fish, but I'm wondering if I need to do anything to the tank before putting another in there?

(5G/prime/plants x4/78*/filtered/gravel/cycled)
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:48 AM   #2 
Bettaluver4evr

Dead fish produce toooons of ammonia, so you'd have to do either a 100% water change in a tank size where you can do that, or an enormous water change and a good gravel vaccuming. You'd also probably have to recycle if the tank has a filter. :)
Bettaluver4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:59 AM   #3 
Canuck Fins

Okay, I just tested the water in my tank.....

Ammonia: between 0 and 0.25
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: between 5 and 10ppm

So I have to start all over again? It took me three months to get the cycle going. (My lost fish had no tankmates.)

Last edited by Canuck Fins; 03-07-2011 at 11:02 AM.
Old 03-07-2011, 04:20 PM   #4 
Bettaluver4evr

Hmmm... the ammonia has to be 0, right? I'd do a 50% water change, that should take down the ammonia. However, I'm not familiar with what the correct nitrate/nitrite are supposed to be, I'm sorry! But I think with the water change and a good gravel vaccuming, the tank should be fine! :)
Bettaluver4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 02:40 PM   #5 
PewPewPew

Idk...Considering you dont know what killed him, I would clean your tank. That will disrupt the cycle, but if what killed him is still in the tank, it will also kill your next fish.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 11:38 AM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

Your nitrates are fine at 5-10 ppm.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 11:42 AM   #7 
Canuck Fins

I forgot to post on this again. I consulted with OldFishLady on this; she's so helpful.
I did 50% water changes Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and then Thursday night got a new fish. Any pathogens left in the tank should be gone after that amount of time without a fish. The new fish is very active (and hard to get a photograph of).
Old 03-12-2011, 11:44 AM   #8 
cjayBetta

There are not very many bacteria's that can survive without a host. Id just let it sit for a couple weeks (with regular water changes) and everything should be fine to put in a new fish.
cjayBetta is offline   Reply With Quote