Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-11-2011, 10:10 PM   #1 
crazyoverfish

Lucky hates his food

I purchased Top Fin betta pellets and Lucky hates them. I'll put two pellets in the tank in the morning, and usually when I get home from work, they are still there. Eventually after 1am, he does eat them, but I've noticed he only eats the green one and the red ones are laying on the substrate.

I don't have a heater for him as of yet. I ordered one because all my Petsmart had were huge ones. do you think once I get the heater in there, his appetite will increase?

What food do you use? I'm thinking about going and getting him something new. I did read that they like gel food and I've made a huge batch of it for my Goldfish. Do you think that will work? I'm just afraid it will mess up the water and will force me to make even more frequent water changes.
crazyoverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 10:15 PM   #2 
BettaMama11

My betta didn't want to eat her topfin pellets until i soaked them in garlic juice...you could give that a try?
BettaMama11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 10:16 PM   #3 
Pekemom

I'm new to keeping bettas, Crazyoverfish, but I've learned that our bettas love variety. I feed Hikari Micropellets in the morning with a pinch of flake a few minutes later. Brooke gobbles everything up quickly.

In the evenng, I feed two freeze dried bloodoworms and a tiny amount of shrimp. I'd be interested in trying some frozen food, too...
Pekemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 05:40 PM   #4 
shadowsbiker

If the temperature of the water is too low your betta will probably not have an appetite. I had a similar problem with my betta because the Tetra mini pellets were too big for him to swallow. After I changed to Aqueon micro pellets he now gobbles them right up.
shadowsbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 06:18 PM   #5 
crazyoverfish

I just bought a heater for him today, so hopefully he'll be a little more active and will eat his pellets. I don't have patience for the one I ordered online to arrive. I'm sure I'll find good use for it....humm, how about another Beta tank.
crazyoverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 06:30 PM   #6 
Cravenne

Warmer water should help, for sure. You'll likely see a much more lively boy!

I use TopFin pellets and my guys love them. I prefer them because they are fiarly tiny.
Before you go buying a ton of different pellets, let the water warm up and see if he's more interested.
Live foods are a great treat as well...I'd wait until he's eating the pellets consistently before offering that though. He might go on pellet strike..lol.
Cravenne is offline   Reply With Quote