Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-13-2011, 01:00 AM   #1 
sindorei

Betta colors (names)

Can someone explain to me what all the names mean? I thought I had a handle on a few of them (esp on AB) and then I see a listing that confuses me. What, in strict definition, is, say, a mustard? A dragon? Etc? What are the definitions for these colors and patterns? Thanks!

Oh and also, do halfmoons ever come in CT? Both are my favorite, Id love to see them in the same fish!
sindorei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 01:13 AM   #2 
Arashi Takamine

I don't think HM's come as CT's because their a specific tail type. I have seen Plakat HM's and CT's but never HM/CT but that would be a very interesting breeding pair no? Dragon means double scales usually a lighter or darker color with fins that look literally like Dragon wings. Mustard means a dull yellow like actual mustard. Marble is color changing and Butterfly is a tail pattern commonly seen on HM's. (Kalona had the most beautiful and unique butterfly and colors. He was such a navy blue his blue only showed up in pictures. He was so blue he was black.)
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 01:20 AM   #3 
sindorei

But I see "mustard" with a blue body and yellow fins, and another "mustard" with a black body and yellow fins with black tips. Whats the definition of what makes a mustard, a mustard? Where is the color confined to? What are the hues acceptable? Etc

Only dragons Iv ever seen were white body with red fins, "red dragon". Do they come in other colors? What is the strict definition of colors and markings that make a "dragon". If theres fin-color on the head, is that no longer a dragon?
Old 03-13-2011, 01:36 AM   #4 
shinybetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arashi Takamine View Post
I don't think HM's come as CT's because their a specific tail type. I have seen Plakat HM's and CT's but never HM/CT but that would be a very interesting breeding pair no? Dragon means double scales usually a lighter or darker color with fins that look literally like Dragon wings. Mustard means a dull yellow like actual mustard. Marble is color changing and Butterfly is a tail pattern commonly seen on HM's. (Kalona had the most beautiful and unique butterfly and colors. He was such a navy blue his blue only showed up in pictures. He was so blue he was black.)
A CT is basically an HM with fin ray reduction. Some are delta's and super deltas too.
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 01:51 AM   #5 
Arashi Takamine

Quote:
Originally Posted by sindorei View Post
But I see "mustard" with a blue body and yellow fins, and another "mustard" with a black body and yellow fins with black tips. Whats the definition of what makes a mustard, a mustard? Where is the color confined to? What are the hues acceptable? Etc

Only dragons Iv ever seen were white body with red fins, "red dragon". Do they come in other colors? What is the strict definition of colors and markings that make a "dragon". If theres fin-color on the head, is that no longer a dragon?
The dragons are known to have not only a normal set of scales but they have white or dark, dark coloring contrast to their normal's. The normal dragon you commonly see is a red Dragon with white scales but the notice is that some dragons have their scales up to their eyes forming almose a mask. Here's a pic of a dark green lace Dragon found on Aquabid.com

The colors primarily are a very dark blueish green on this male. (Note: I do not own him he was on sale on Aquabid and I wanted to save the pic just in case.)

EDIT: I had no idea Crowntail's were HM's with fin ray reduction. That's pretty cool.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:20 AM   #6 
Abby

Quote:
Butterfly is a tail pattern commonly seen on HM's.
My has a little butterfly collection :)

Butterfly VTS: (these are two of my guys)
This is Pippin:

The butterfly colour is the body colour going through their fins half wayish. Pippin is also a cambodian

This is agent 11 aka Cedric, hes a black and purple metalic butterfly HM

His "Butterfly" is purple through to "black" but its actually clear

BENNY: Before he chewed his fins off

(and After he ate his fins)

Melvin:

and Nero is a cambodian 4 ray ct:

Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 03:26 AM   #7 
sindorei

What is "cambodian"? What does 4 rays mean? 4 what?
Old 03-13-2011, 03:33 AM   #8 
Arashi Takamine

I admit to newbness. Gorgeous betta's BTW Abby-chan.

Cambodian is a special coloring on a betta. I can't explain it too well since I only owned two betta's so far and neither have been cambodian.

4-rays I believe means splayed out fins on the tail. Very beautiful. (And I admit to being wrong about Butterfly betta's. Lovely VT's.)
Old 03-13-2011, 03:35 AM   #9 
Abby

Cambodian have dark fins and light body in same colour a good example:
(NOT MINE off google)

a 4 ray crown tail:

See the rays are in groups of two and then split into two on the ends, so theres 4 rays at the end

a 2 ray:

see the 2 ray doesnt split again
(these are not my fish all off google)
Old 03-13-2011, 03:37 AM   #10 
Abby

Quote:
(And I admit to being wrong about Butterfly betta's. Lovely VT's.)
Nothing to be wrong about the butterfly is a colour NOT a type so it can appear through different tails :)

i love my butterfly collection to the point im even looking at small tattoos i can modify to suit my boys :) they would be my first so ice and small lol