Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-07-2011, 08:38 PM   #1 
peachesxo

Does Sumo have fin rot?? Or...

Okay, so I have noticed something funky about Sumo's tail fins but it really has me confused..
In the worst case scenario it is fin rot, BUT, the thing is, his tail looks longer and thicker than it did when I first got him 2 months ago, yet there are a few dark/stringy looking ends coming off the tips of some parts of his tail, but not all of them (he is a crowntail)
My camera is not good enough quality to get a picture of what i am talking about... but anyways
It looks like there maybe some dark edges on a few tips and those ones seem to be a little more "stringy" than the others.. but overall his tail looks longer and thicker.. not like he is losing any..
Is this the beginning of fin rot, or is it possible that what i am seeing is actually tail growth?

(And since I know I will be asked to post them.. here are his tank specs)
10 gallon, heated at 80 degrees, filtered, once a week 40% water changes, i feed him twice daily, 2x pellets a time, sometimes switching one of the pellets up for some flakes or a couple bloodworms... or sometimes a few bloodworms as a treat after the 2. I have no idea how old he is, the LFS said he was young but he looks alot older than my new boy who is definatly still very young, and he has some grey under his chin. Absolutley no changes in behaviour, and I noticed this maybe a day or two ago, but as stated, his tail seems longer and thicker than it was a few weeks ago yet there are these few darker ends that appear semi shriveled..

So is this fin rot.. or possibly fin growth?
peachesxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:57 PM   #2 
PewPewPew

I think fin growth? Im not too sure.

But IME, my fish messed his fins up and they healed by bunching together at the tip, then separating. They are now considerably thicker, even the reys..
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 03:29 PM   #3 
peachesxo

does anyone have a second opinion?
i don't know if i should go out to get stuff to treat him i can't tell if it's fin rot or what, it is only on the tips of a few rays and it is not really like any other cases i have seen from people on here with fin rot..
Old 03-13-2011, 03:35 PM   #4 
BettasForever

pics? :o

It's hard to tell by your description if it's fin rot or tail biting... :o
BettasForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 03:36 PM   #5 
peachesxo

I can't get any pics of it, my camera is really bad, but i'll try again x(
Old 03-13-2011, 04:10 PM   #6 
brittney0430

you can go to the local pet store and pick up some BettaFix its really cheap, only like 3.44 i bought some the other day. It fixes fin rot and prevents it and also helps fight bacterial infections, but mainly fin rot. If you are that worried and love your Betta I would go buy some, but it could just be growth. Anyway, BettaFix, its cheap I suggest having it for the future. :) hope this helped
brittney0430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 04:28 PM   #7 
peachesxo

I have not heard nothing so many good things about BettaFix... (hurting the labyrinth organ, ect.) and even if it IS finrot, it is very very early, so hopefully a QT and a few days of aquarium salt will fix it up.. IF it is..
I managed to take two pictures that KIND OF show what I am talking about. You need to really look at them to understand though, my camera is horrible, I'll be getting a new one for my birthday (april 5th)
but when ur looking at them just try to see what i am talking about
it is on the back end of his tail (which is very very thick and has many rays as you can see) but it looks like some of them are shortened//deteriorating a little (or growing back? i dont know) ...
Here are the pics...

What do you all think?? See what I mean o.O

aaaahhh
Old 03-13-2011, 04:31 PM   #8 
brittney0430

maybe he was stressed when you got him and they are just starting to grow back? hmm. doesnt look like fin-rot to me. But if it is, luckily its treatable with the epsom or aquarium salt bath :P
Old 03-13-2011, 04:33 PM   #9 
peachesxo

I have had him for at least 2 months now, and though his entire tail has grown in that time, these stringier bits at the ends have reccently appeared.
I don't know if it's fin rot or just more growth and i'm just noticing it because it looks funny/is new, or if he may have had a little run in with the intake of the filter that could have possibly just taken the few ends off or what o.O
Old 03-13-2011, 04:41 PM   #10 
brittney0430

his tail could be growing and if you have a filter or any other fish in the tank or even plants could tear at the fins.