Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-13-2011, 06:23 PM   #21 
PowayMermaid

Thank you everyone, especially KF. After a couple of weeks of not looking so great on and off, my beautiful boy Draco passed away this morning. Of course I'm sad, but my boy was really considerate and had AWESOME timing, because he seemed to know that I'd be too distracted about my human friend currently missing in Northeastern Japan to cry too much over him.

Thank you bettafish forum for giving my boy some more time (although I write this post because on reflection I do wonder if I should've perhaps euthanized him at the start... his eye at death appeared to have caved in, or something. Tumor? I have no idea).

And regardless of whether or not you believe in God, please pray for my friend and all the other people being affected after Japan's quake/tsunami.
PowayMermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 08:15 PM   #22 
Capricorn

I'm sorry to hear about both things. ): I'm positive that the time he spent with you he was well-cared for and content.

Wishing all the best for all of Japan, as well! I hope your friend is okay.
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 09:12 PM   #23 
PowayMermaid

Thank you very much on both accounts Capricorn, and I agree completely: Anyone reading this in Japan, please stay safe!
Old 03-14-2011, 12:57 AM   #24 
k2ofcu

Quote:
Originally Posted by PewPewPew View Post
Youre so incorrect it hurts.

They stay awake until they freeze.
Bettas do not "hibernate", and they dont "sleep" like a human would.
Their insides freeze until they die of cold while being awake.

Never do this to your fish. Use clove oil or quickly bludgeon him. There are other methods, as well.
+1

FREEZING IS NOT HUMANE. PERIOD.

MS- 222 (ONLY WITH sodium bicarbonate buffer!) is an acceptable veterinary standard for fish euthanasia:

http://www.argent-labs.com/argentwebsite/ms-222.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tricaine_mesylate

http://www.research.cornell.edu/care...Ps/ACUP306.pdf
Note: MS222 is acidic in concentrations >500 mg/L, concentrations >500 mg/L must be buffered with an equal weight of sodium bicarbonate or to a pH of 7.0-7.5.

(I'm an analytical chemist & board-certified veterinary technician, though I'm learning more and more about fish (& the nitrogen cycle! ha!) through this forum!)

A friend (veterinary technology instructor for 30+years) ordered MS222 for her fish (can be ordered via the link above by any responsible party).
I have access to it (used with sodium bicarbonate to keep it humane!!) if I ever need it (hopefully not soon if ever!)
k2ofcu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 01:02 AM   #25 
k2ofcu

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowayMermaid View Post
Thank you everyone, especially KF. After a couple of weeks of not looking so great on and off, my beautiful boy Draco passed away this morning. Of course I'm sad, but my boy was really considerate and had AWESOME timing, because he seemed to know that I'd be too distracted about my human friend currently missing in Northeastern Japan to cry too much over him.

Thank you bettafish forum for giving my boy some more time (although I write this post because on reflection I do wonder if I should've perhaps euthanized him at the start... his eye at death appeared to have caved in, or something. Tumor? I have no idea).

And regardless of whether or not you believe in God, please pray for my friend and all the other people being affected after Japan's quake/tsunami.
Am so sorry- must be so very hard on so many levels.

I had a pet go before I could get her to the DVM for euthanasia - I knew a LOT of different things, but it haunts me still that I didn't do certain things at a certain time, waited too long, etc. Be easy on yourself- as best you can. We know you did your very, very best, and Draco knows it, too.

Prayers & good thoughts for EVERYONE -plenty enough to go around (Japanese friends, little Draco, and, of course, the very caring YOU).

{{{{PowayMermaid}}}}
k2ofcu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 02:38 AM   #26 
PowayMermaid

You made me cry again k2ofcu. Thank you so much for your advice and kind words. You're a sweetheart! :)

AND THEY FOUND MY CANON!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you Ann Curry and NBC!! What started out as a sad day for my Draco became one of the best days of my life. Words cannot express how happy I am that she's alive and well... now get your ass home, girl.

But even with how happy I am, I'm still praying for Japan and all those that have yet to hear about loved ones.

Tags
euthanize, swim bladder