Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-13-2011, 11:17 AM   #1 
tigerone63

Constipation that I can't get rid of.

As I write this post I am nearly despondent. My beautiful beta tiny has a swollen abdomen...for the past ten days I have tried to treat him with peas, daphnia, various medicines like Maracyn II and even Jungle's fungal treatment. He is still eating like crazy. When I cleaned his tank last night, I found brown stringy poop. What depresses me more is I don't know what caused all of this when.

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 gallon bow
What temperature is your tank? steady 78 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? yes...air pump driven
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Hikari's Beta food
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2x daily (at least I was until this started).

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? weekly or soon
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25%-50% I say 50% because by the time I clean the gravel, half the water's gone.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? I use Kordon's Nova Aqua Plus and Amquel +

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? I changed his water last night so I haven't checked them today yet. Last check everything was in good parameters...tank cycled. If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? swollen abdomen
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? he can't swim down to his castle he hides in
When did you start noticing the symptoms? about ten days ago
Have you started treating your fish? Yes, peas/daphia If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill? None
How old is your fish (approximately)? Not sure..he's a veil tail beta I've had since July '10

Please help. I am considering euthenasia. Thank you.
tigerone63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 12:29 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Before you euthanize.....try Epsom salt treatment

Place him in a small container with a lid that can be floated in the heated tank.......pre-mix some treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-add-Epsom salt 1tsp/gal- for the next 2 days use this pre-mixed water for 100% daily water changes in this small container....
On day 3-increase the Epsom salt 2tsp/gal and continue the 100% daily water changes for 7 more days while in QT...he needs to stay in this treatment water and QT for 10 days total
Hold food for the first 2 days and then offer half feedings 3 times a day once you increase the Epsom salt to 2tsp/gal.....
Maintain water temp in the 76-77F range

Epsom salt (Not aquarium salt) can usually be found at most store that have a pharmacy dept....usually not found a pet shop.....

Keep us posted and Welcome to the forum.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 01:05 PM   #3 
tigerone63

Thank you for your reply. I will try this...one question...Should the container Tiny will reside in be around one gallon or half gallon? I'm not sure of the size of the container. I've seen these small beta containers of maybe half to one quarter of a gallon of water..would one of these be ok? Thanks again!
Old 03-13-2011, 01:09 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Smaller the better for short term treatment.....those cups that some Bettas are sold in work great for short term treatments....plastic work well because it floats....one of the goals of QT is to maintain a stable water temp and by floating the QT in the heated tank...you can do this....if all you have is glass half-1gal...this will work too...just monitor the water temp......

Sometimes we have to get creative...lol....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 04:16 PM   #5 
brittney0430

My Betta has the same thing. She has done this before in the past month and I just treated the constipation with a Fasting for about 3 to 4 days or 4 to 5. Trust me, your fish wont die of starvation for going without any food these days. Bettas can live up to 2 weeks without food and still be okay, so a work week wont hurt him/her. Bettas will eat and eat and eat until they end up killing thereselves. So in the future, only feed him the size of his eye, or how much he can eat in two minutes and it all be gone. Hope this helps :)
brittney0430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 02:22 PM   #6 
tigerone63

Update on TINY. I purchased a plastic container (Thanks to Dollar General!) with a lid as much like the one he had at the Petco I bought him from. I drilled holes in the top. I purchased and mixed as fresh Epsom salt as the Oldfishlady prescribed. He is floating in his tank in his chamber in the back right corner. I put plants around it and his hamock under the chamber. I just gave him a 100% water change. He seems better but I am sticking to what I've been told to do to the letter.

I love Tiny with all my heart and I want him healthy again. Keep us in your thoughts please. Thank you so much!