Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-14-2011, 06:34 PM   #11 
LittleBettaFish

The problem here is, that this person doesn't seem to understand that their tank is already overstocked, or that they should already be in possession of a heater if they own a betta. Just from these two things I can infer that they probably aren't going to have the knowledge to maintain a tank of this size.

I was at the LFS the other day and a man clutching a half gallon tank asked if it was alright for him to do a water change every two weeks. This wouldn't have been so bad if he had been clutching say a 5-10 gallon tank instead. That's why people recommend larger tanks, simply because it requires less vigilance than a tank half or even a quarter of that size.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 06:39 PM   #12 
TaylorW

^ Thank you LittleBettaFish, you phrased things much better than I did, that's what I was trying to say :)
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 06:45 PM   #13 
JKfish

As far as I can tell, none of the posts have been mean or unhelpful, and shouldn't be taken as such.

anyways, BettaLover79, your tank first needs to be heated to 76-80* F and in that sized tank you should be doing 100% water changes every other day. It's too small to have tankmates, there'd be nowhere to hide.

You'd want a minimum of a 8 liter (2 gallon) tank for shrimps or snails. However, because a 8 liter (2 gallon) tank needs two 50% and one 100% water change a week, it would be hard to keep shrimps in because shrimps are sensitive to water quality and are hard to catch for water changes. In general, I say you need a 20 liter (5 gallon) cycled tank before you even consider tankmates.

Besides, betta fish are similar to school bullies. They'll either ignore the other fish, or they'll hurt/eat them. Neither the tank mates nor your betta would be thanking you for putting them together.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 09:00 PM   #14 
Abby

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorW View Post
Abby, I am sorry, I didn't mean to start anything or offend anyone, so please don't jump all over me or anyone else... If you can maintain a tank less than a one gallon, that's great. I just know that I couldn't deal with the frequent water changes or finding a small enough heater and all that. I recommended 1-2 gallons because it's just easier.

I did not and do not intend to be rude/unhelpful to the original poster by saying that I thought the tank was too small... So I apologize to BettaLover79 if I came off as rude.

But you also did the same thing to another member today in "Hotel Splenden"
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:27 PM   #15 
TaylorW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby View Post
But you also did the same thing to another member today in "Hotel Splenden"
I honestly don't remember posting anything and I always really try not to be rude or mean to anyone. If I am, I'm really sorry about it. Also, this is a forum, so everyone is entitled to different opinions/points of view.

But I don't think nagging about me helps the original poster in any way, and if you would like to talk to me or say something you are free to PM me and we can continue this discussion. I don't want to cause commotion or take this thread anymore off topic than it already is.

I would like to apologize to BettaLover79 once again! Sorry about this! :(

Edit: I searched for the "Hotel Splenden" thread and I never even posted in it. So please quit jumping on me.

Last edited by TaylorW; 03-14-2011 at 10:40 PM.
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:40 PM   #16 
PewPewPew

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorW View Post
I honestly don't remember posting anything and I always try really try not to be rude or mean to anyone. If I am, I'm really sorry about it. Also, this is a forum, so everyone is entitled to different opinions/points of view.

But I don't think nagging about me helps the original poster in any way, and if you would like to talk to me or say something you are free to PM me and we can continue this discussion. I don't want to cause commotion or take this thread anymore off topic than it already is.

I would like to apologize to BettaLover79 once again! Sorry about this! :(

Edit: I searched for the "Hotel Splenden" thread and I never even posted in it. So please quit jumping on me.

Stop apologizing. What you said is fine.

She's jumping down your throat just as much as she claims you're doing it to others.

OP, take the other members advice and don't get tank mates until you get a larger tank, heater and do a bit more research about your betta and what you want to keep in there. That way, all of your fish, and you, will be much happier.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote