Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-15-2011, 05:54 PM   #1 
puppyrjjkm

Lightbulb I want a guinea pig!

So here's the story. I've been working at Petsmart for a little over a month now (love it!) and have fallen in love with the guinea pigs. I had 2 about 1.5 yrs ago, one was about 3 and his back teeth grew over his tongue, long story short we had to put him down. It made me very sad to the point where I didn't want to care for the other pig (he was much younger, we got him for mine to have a friend). So we sold him along with all the piggy stuff to our LFS. Now I am 18 and going to be staying home for college so have time and resources to care for them, and a job so would be paying for everything, and they would stay downstairs away from parents and the dogs. (I want 2 because they are social) the problem is my dad won't let me. Since I sold the other one he thinks I'll just lose interest again, but I really don't think that will happen. Any advice on how to convince him?
puppyrjjkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 01:26 AM   #2 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppyrjjkm View Post
So here's the story. I've been working at Petsmart for a little over a month now (love it!) and have fallen in love with the guinea pigs. I had 2 about 1.5 yrs ago, one was about 3 and his back teeth grew over his tongue, long story short we had to put him down. It made me very sad to the point where I didn't want to care for the other pig (he was much younger, we got him for mine to have a friend). So we sold him along with all the piggy stuff to our LFS. Now I am 18 and going to be staying home for college so have time and resources to care for them, and a job so would be paying for everything, and they would stay downstairs away from parents and the dogs. (I want 2 because they are social) the problem is my dad won't let me. Since I sold the other one he thinks I'll just lose interest again, but I really don't think that will happen. Any advice on how to convince him?
Print out a BUNCH of guinea pig information and maybe draw out a sketch of what the cage would look like in your room. Here are my favorite guinea pig websites:

cavyspirit.com

guinealynx.info
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 07:40 AM   #3 
Duncan13

I hope you get your guinea pigs! I was recently thinking of getting two guinea pigs too! Since my parents said no to a chinchilla, they said that I could get a chinchilla. I had a bad fist experience with guinea pigs too, my first one died suddenly one day because of a heart attack, it just fell to the floor and started seizing. The vet said it was because of interbreeding, like brothers and sisters mating. Anyways, good luck!
Duncan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 05:38 PM   #4 
puppyrjjkm

Thanks. I just don't understand his point of view I guess, it's kind of frustrating. Anyway anyone have other thoughts?
Old 03-17-2011, 10:49 PM   #5 
jespenguin

My plan of attack is just bringing things home, but my mom got used to it and didnt fight the inevitable. Now i'm on my own and my bf has to deal the same:) My advise is to show your responsibility, put back the money to buy the proper set up, and drop hints like crazy! Show them that your ready for the commitment, and explained how you felt before. And how you'll deal with a similar situation arises? Persistance is key.
jespenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 05:42 PM   #6 
puppyrjjkm

I agree with persistance! My mom is fine with it as long as she doesn't have to clean the cage or anything. Which I already told her will all be on me. Dad on the other hand isn't so easy! I think I'll lay low for a little while but still drop some hints then in like 2 months I'll just buy them and say it's my graduation present to myself! haha That could possibly work. :)
Old 03-18-2011, 10:46 PM   #7 
Pekemom

Sounds like a plan, Puppy. The are adorable!! I had a Peruvian Guinea pig when I was alot younger. I'm not really sure what made him a Peruvian. He did have long hair and was so cute. I used to sneak pets into our playroom. Sometimes it would take weeks before my parents discovered my pets!! But my daughter got me back. She kept a pet snake in her closet for months before I discovered it!!
Pekemom is offline   Reply With Quote