Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-10-2011, 05:21 PM   #1 
Maddie

Unhappy Unknown reason why my fish died

I had my fish for one year and like ten days. The one day out of the blue he started turning gray. He was my first betta so i didn't know what to do. I tried feeding him when i saw he was gray, but he just floated to the bottom of the tank. I was so scared. I at least want to know why he died so that my other betta fish don't.
Maddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 06:28 PM   #2 
christina

I'm not an expert on betta fish, but I have heard two things that might mean it was his time. (and please, anyone who knows more than me feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) (1) Many betta fish survive 2-3 years. Some can live more (I've heard as much as 9 years) but they aren't very long lived fish. (2) Most fish from pet stores are already 6 months to a year and a half. If when you bought him he was large and big finned he may have been on the upper end of that.

Question: What were the conditions in your fish tank? (There is a little stickie with a list of things that might help diagnosis in this forum)
christina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 06:34 PM   #3 
Canuck Fins

Aw, I have nothing to add but I'm sorry you lost your fish.

How big was the tank? Was it heated or filtered? Did he have any tankmates?
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:19 PM   #4 
PewPewPew

Lots of things will kill a betta.

Your betta probably wasnt that old... They live from 2-5 years under good care. Becomming pale so suddenly is a sign of stress..

If your tank was small (gallon and under) and wasnt being cleaned and having water changes more than 100% each day (for under a gallon) or 50% one day, 100% the next for 1-1.5 gallons, he probably died of a dirty ttank/ ammonia build up. Also, for example, cleaning a tank and changing the water in a 2.5 gallon tank less than 50% twice a week will lead to stress and other factors that will harm it.

If your tank was unheated, less than the needed 76'-82' range, he was probably cold- leaving their bodies open to stress which will cause them to contract illnesses much faster and easier.

If your betta was not being fed the correct diet or too infrequently, well, thats a bit obvious. Things like frozen blood worms all the time provide little nutrients and will harm your fish. Too infrequent of feedings will cause stravation, etc. Too much will cause bloat or other complications leading to much the same.

If your water wasnt conditioned, the chlorine might've gottten him.

Or he couldve contracted something that hurt him and caused him to pass.

Im sorry to hear your little guy died, and I hope that your next will live longer for you. Take good note of these things and if you think they were a factor, correct them for your next fish. Theyre hearty little things, but theyre not invincible and do pass for many many reasons.

Good luck with everything in the future,a nd sorry to list so much- just covering all the reasons I can think of <3
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 05:33 PM   #5 
Maddie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PewPewPew View Post
Lots of things will kill a betta.

Your betta probably wasnt that old... They live from 2-5 years under good care. Becomming pale so suddenly is a sign of stress..

If your tank was small (gallon and under) and wasnt being cleaned and having water changes more than 100% each day (for under a gallon) or 50% one day, 100% the next for 1-1.5 gallons, he probably died of a dirty ttank/ ammonia build up. Also, for example, cleaning a tank and changing the water in a 2.5 gallon tank less than 50% twice a week will lead to stress and other factors that will harm it.

If your tank was unheated, less than the needed 76'-82' range, he was probably cold- leaving their bodies open to stress which will cause them to contract illnesses much faster and easier.

If your betta was not being fed the correct diet or too infrequently, well, thats a bit obvious. Things like frozen blood worms all the time provide little nutrients and will harm your fish. Too infrequent of feedings will cause stravation, etc. Too much will cause bloat or other complications leading to much the same.

If your water wasnt conditioned, the chlorine might've gottten him.

Or he couldve contracted something that hurt him and caused him to pass.

Im sorry to hear your little guy died, and I hope that your next will live longer for you. Take good note of these things and if you think they were a factor, correct them for your next fish. Theyre hearty little things, but theyre not invincible and do pass for many many reasons.

Good luck with everything in the future,a nd sorry to list so much- just covering all the reasons I can think of <3
Thanks for listing all the reasons why my fish could of died. I don't have a heater for my tank so that may be why.
Maddie is offline   Reply With Quote