Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-16-2011, 01:34 AM   #21 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkinspikepie View Post
Innova and Wellness are good but sooo overpriced. My cats like their canned food, though. I was thinking just general stuff like what are good / bad ingredients, not X brand is superior to Y.
I just mentioned those because I have experience with them. Ingredients should definitely be valued over brand name though, but some brands are better than others (for example innova is better than purina or eukanuba).Unfortunately with better ingredients usually comes higher prices, but I honestly don't have a problem with paying extra to ensure better health. I would not skimp on my food so I definitely would not skimp on my dogs. Canned food is great as long as there are no nasty preservatives and weird unnatural ingredients. For example, eukanuba contains beet pulp…. ew. The ingredients in my dog food are totally simple and something I would eat my self.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 01:49 AM   #22 
pumpkinspikepie

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle10 View Post
I just mentioned those because I have experience with them. Ingredients should definitely be valued over brand name though, but some brands are better than others (for example innova is better than purina or eukanuba).Unfortunately with better ingredients usually comes higher prices, but I honestly don't have a problem with paying extra to ensure better health. I would not skimp on my food so I definitely would not skimp on my dogs. Canned food is great as long as there are no nasty preservatives and weird unnatural ingredients. For example, eukanuba contains beet pulp…. ew. The ingredients in my dog food are totally simple and something I would eat my self.
Understood, I just meant that I didn't expect the OP to list off all the foods in the store in order from best to worst brandwise. Price isn't such a big deal for me since I get a really great discount as I work at a pet store, heh heh. But there are really good grain-free, no b.s. foods that aren't so expensive. I'm thinking of Diamond's Taste of the Wild. That's what my cats eat, and if I had a dog he'd eat that brand too. That's just me though, and they're picky. Have you heard of Merrick? That's canned food that you actually can eat. It's crazy.
pumpkinspikepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 01:53 AM   #23 
turtle10

Lol can you imagine? That would be one long list! Taste of the Wild is great, my dogs used to love that stuff, and my cat. Merrick sounds familiar but I am not sure… you can really eat it?
Old 03-16-2011, 02:03 AM   #24 
pumpkinspikepie

It's got visible chunks of meat, there's gravy and fruit and vegetables, and I'm pretty sure there's really nothing in it that humans can't eat. A representative said that to my manager, and they both ate some of it!

http://www.merrickpetcare.com/
pumpkinspikepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 05:32 AM   #25 
Abby

dogs and tuna are good, here we have a fish dog food called fish for dogs, its really good for them. my dad asked his partners guide dog instructor about why my dog prefers cats tuna to his dog food and the instructor said that fish (home brand tuna in mineral water) is actually better for them then dog food because its natural and the oils in the fish are good for them.

we have a few brands here that i avoid like Natures Gift made my dog hell sick.

our pup has a lot of flatulence with a few different foods. but then again hes retty rank at the best of times haha
our big outside dogs only like homebrand foods but the little staffy gets the good foods, he was started on science diet but thats pretty pricey here, he likes the meaty casserol ones and granted he eats a lot he also clears the room quite well.

lol the life of animals!
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 09:05 AM   #26 
LolaQuigs

Bad ingredients are the vague things like "meat meal," "meat and bone meal," and "animal fat" (what you want are specifically named meat and fat sources, anything that just says "animal" or "meat" is something to watch out for), animal digest, and by-products. Corn, wheat, and soy are common allergens and cheap filler. Better grains are rice, barley, oatmeal, quinoa and millet. Some high-quality dog foods are completely grain-free (like the above mentioned Taste of the Wild), which is also a fantastic option.

The best foods have a named meat source and a named meat meal source in the first few ingredients. The most important ingredients are the ones listed before the fat source, these are the ones in highest concentration. So if there are a lot of grains before the fat source, and the meat sources come later, you know there is very little meat in the food.

The premium, natural, and "holistic" foods are more expensive, but it's worth it. I figure, what I spend in food, I'll save in vet bills. Not to mention, with a lot of the higher quality food, you don't have to feed as much because it's more nutrient-rich.

Last edited by LolaQuigs; 03-16-2011 at 09:16 AM.
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 12:12 PM   #27 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LolaQuigs View Post
Bad ingredients are the vague things like "meat meal," "meat and bone meal," and "animal fat" (what you want are specifically named meat and fat sources, anything that just says "animal" or "meat" is something to watch out for), animal digest, and by-products. Corn, wheat, and soy are common allergens and cheap filler. Better grains are rice, barley, oatmeal, quinoa and millet. Some high-quality dog foods are completely grain-free (like the above mentioned Taste of the Wild), which is also a fantastic option.

The best foods have a named meat source and a named meat meal source in the first few ingredients. The most important ingredients are the ones listed before the fat source, these are the ones in highest concentration. So if there are a lot of grains before the fat source, and the meat sources come later, you know there is very little meat in the food.

The premium, natural, and "holistic" foods are more expensive, but it's worth it. I figure, what I spend in food, I'll save in vet bills. Not to mention, with a lot of the higher quality food, you don't have to feed as much because it's more nutrient-rich.
+1
Old 03-16-2011, 05:15 PM   #28 
Abby

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle10 View Post
you can really eat it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkinspikepie View Post
. A representative said that to my manager, and they both ate some of it!

http://www.merrickpetcare.com/

One of my friends actually eats a sample of all the food he feeds his dogs anytime theres a food change
(dry food not wet) but the GOOD brands here are eatable we have these new meals for dogs in a container thats pretty much white rice with meat and veg they dont look too bad haha
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 01:11 AM   #29 
Rhondabelle

Thank you SO MUCH for all the info! I'm pretty good with the dog/ cat food, but the fish, rodents, & birds I don't know so much about, as I've kind of let it be a 'well that's so and so's specialty' situation. I have been doing research and know vastly more than I did before this past week, there's so much to learn!
Rhondabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 01:17 AM   #30 
turtle10

No problem! Glad we could help. There really is so much too learn. There are so many animals even at just a pet store, it would take a long time to know everything! Although I want to, because my dream is to open an animal-friendly pet store.