Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-16-2011, 04:19 AM   #1 
BlahTeeb

Changing the Habitat

I've got a betta in a 2 gallon bowl and change the water every week or every other week. I usually change the placement of the live plants/leaves, so I was wondering... does this affect the betta negatively?

I'm not sure whether bettas have a "home" in the wild where they like to reside... so does mixing up his habitat affect him at all? Bettas are curious, but I'm not sure they like exploring a new home every week or so. Anyone know whether this is fine or not?
BlahTeeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 11:27 AM   #2 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlahTeeb View Post
I've got a betta in a 2 gallon bowl and change the water every week or every other week. I usually change the placement of the live plants/leaves, so I was wondering... does this affect the betta negatively?

I'm not sure whether bettas have a "home" in the wild where they like to reside... so does mixing up his habitat affect him at all? Bettas are curious, but I'm not sure they like exploring a new home every week or so. Anyone know whether this is fine or not?
First off, you need to be doing water changes way more often. Like 100% every other day. The water schedule you have right now will hurt your betta.

About the plants, it only affects them negatively if they don't like it.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 11:30 AM   #3 
denaliwind

I do the same thing when I do full water changes. It never seems to affect them negatively, it only gives them something new to be curious about. They always explore around and scrutinize the decorations after rearranging! I like to think it makes their life a little more interesting. :D

=^.^=

Last edited by denaliwind; 03-16-2011 at 11:39 AM.
denaliwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 11:35 AM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum....

How many and what kind of live plants do you have?

Although moving the plants around will not cause any problems for the Betta and could even be a good thing to keep his habitat more interesting for him...it may cause problems for the plants...but this depends on the plant species......

When you have live active growing plants-water change needs change- because the plants can function as a filter of sorts...but this also depends on the number and species of plant.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 11:39 AM   #5 
denaliwind

Ah I never considered if they were live plants or not. I only rearrange fake plants.
denaliwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 02:52 PM   #6 
BlahTeeb

I've got some smaller pieces of almond leaves, and 2 bulbs of some plant from petsmart. They were under the betta section and has pictures of bettas on them. Started with an "A", but I don't remember the name. Those two bulbs are not really grown yet.

So then, with the two leaves and the eventual two plants, how often should I change my tank? Would once a week do? I do remove excess food and any junk I find... so this should prolong the need to change the water right?

Edit - Also... if hes building a bubble nest... then that pretty much means he satisfied right? I believe I read that under stress, bettas MOST likely won't build a nest.
BlahTeeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 02:56 PM   #7 
shinybetta

Were they aponegeton bulbs?
shinybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 04:54 PM   #8 
Oldfishlady

In a 2gal unfiltered tank with plant bulbs that have not grown yet....I would make 1-50% and 1-100% weekly water change.....once you have active growth in the plants that could be changed to twice weekly 50%....I agree, they are most likely Apons and those bulbs sometimes do not grow well....watch them for fungus and rot and remove ASAP if they go bad.....you also don't want to bury them...let them rest on top of the substrate...once they sprout they will send their roots down on their own.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote