Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-14-2011, 11:49 PM   #1 
Sherleelee

Location: I now live in Vic, Australia but from Alberta Canada
Angry Nitrite and Nitrate Spike please help.

This is a cycling question to due with my axolotl bubbles, i own 6 bettas and every question i have ever had has always been answered here so i thought i might try this forum seeing as it is a cycling question more then a fish one. I am copy and pasteing what i asked in the axolotl forum, hope someone can help, im at a loss!

Ok so its been about 2 months since i got my axolotl bubbles. I was cycling my tank with bubbles in, due to my impatiant husband. I did 10L water changes ( the tank is 60L) everyday for a month as ammonia went up then to 0ppm but the nitrite has stuck at 5ppm since it 1st spiked over a month ago... and even with my water changes it does not go down. I stopped doing water changes for a few days and tested for nitrates and that was at 80ppm... and nitrites still at 5ppm. i did a water change today and still no change. What is happning! bubbles eats fine, is very active and doesnt show any sign of stress. I just really need to know what i can buy or do to make it go down, i have reserched as to why my nitrite isnt going down but none of the situtations i have read pertains to mine. Any help would be greatly appriciated.
As it stands, My levels are
ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 5ppm
Nitrate 80ppm
i do not have a ph test kit yet
The 1st photo is of my current tank setup and the 2nd is a good pic of bubbles.
Attached Images

Sherleelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 03:13 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

I am not sure what axolotl bubbles is....is this a brand of tank or additives or something.....

This is a 60l or 15gal tank...correct

Are you cycling with the all 6 of the Bettas and all livestock if any in the tank....

Really need the pH reading too....

What kind of testing kit are you using...strips or liquid reagent
Type of filtration, substrate, all additives used, live plants, if so, how many and what species and lights,
Source water-have you tested this and what is the water source for the tank too...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 06:04 PM   #3 
Sherleelee

Location: I now live in Vic, Australia but from Alberta Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
I am not sure what axolotl bubbles is....is this a brand of tank or additives or something.....

This is a 60l or 15gal tank...correct

Are you cycling with the all 6 of the Bettas and all livestock if any in the tank....

Really need the pH reading too....

What kind of testing kit are you using...strips or liquid reagent
Type of filtration, substrate, all additives used, live plants, if so, how many and what species and lights,
Source water-have you tested this and what is the water source for the tank too...
Your adorable :) my axolotl names is bubbles, axoltotl is a mexican walking fish, (google it , there awsome) yes its a 15gal, have no money at the moment to get a ph test kit but will get one when i can. Yes im cycling the tank with my axolotl in it. As i said it has nothing to do with a betta fish im just concerned about the levels and needing some advice.
Sherleelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 11:06 AM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Laffs.....what a cool creature ......as I am sure you have figured out already I don't know a thing about this species....so I would recommend that you go to a site that specializes in them for cycling information to be safe......I don't want to give you wrong information that could cause harm.......
http://www.axolotl.org/biology.htm
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nirtite, nitrate, spike