Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-16-2011, 12:19 PM   #11 
turtle10

You are absolutely wrong David. Did you know that poop will disintegrate and basically become part of the water? Did you know that bettas constantly secrete ammonia from their bodies? You HAVE to change the water a few times a week in something that tiny. Your betta will suffer and die from ammonia exposure. You got LUCKY, nothing more. Please do not get another fish if you refuse to do water changes.

A baby is not the same is a fish, because a baby just has poop in his diaper. The fish has to swim and BREATHE the poop.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 03:44 PM   #12 
nmaybyte

Since we're on the subject, how often would one need to do a water change on a 5 gal? If 1 gal is every other day @ 100% and a 10 gal is every week @ 25% , then how should a 5 gal be changed?
nmaybyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 04:05 PM   #13 
iheartmybettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmaybyte View Post
Since we're on the subject, how often would one need to do a water change on a 5 gal? If 1 gal is every other day @ 100% and a 10 gal is every week @ 25% , then how should a 5 gal be changed?
I am a crazy water tester. So I test the water first. It seems to work out to 25-50% once a week on my cycled tanks. If your tank isn't cycled then you probably need 50% twice a week (sometimes more) until cycled. I test the water every other day on the uncycled tanks and if it needs it then do it. I have some that still haven't cycled and it's really annoying. I am just hoping it happens very soon.
iheartmybettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 04:11 PM   #14 
nmaybyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartmybettas View Post
I am a crazy water tester.
ME TOO. I posted on my FB the other day that I felt like a mad scientist with all the tanks and airline pipings that I've got going and all the tests I've done. xD
Old 03-16-2011, 04:18 PM   #15 
iheartmybettas

Quote:
ME TOO. I posted on my FB the other day that I felt like a mad scientist with all the tanks and airline pipings that I've got going and all the tests I've done. xD
Lol! My husband has started calling me his little chemist. Since I test our tanks constantly.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:19 PM   #16 
iheartmybettas

In terms of David's original question, UGF's are useless on a 1 gallon. I have used the 1 gallons but left them out so there was more room for the fish. At a minimum do 1 50% and 1 100% water change a week. If you get a 5 gallon you can cycle it and only have to do 1 water change a week.

If you tested your water when you go as long as you do you would find out how truly toxic the water was your fish is being forced to live in. I can only imagine the state of the water that was in your little tank. We water change our 75 gallon more than you are changing your little tanks and ours is cycled AND 75 gallons. You can't just assume that because your fish are survivors that what you did is correct. Bettas are hardy fish and can withstand quite a bit of abuse.

I have not always been the best owner but I wish I had and I really feel horrible for the conditions my prior fish lived in. They were my pets and I didn't really give them the best enviroment. The owner I am today would have yelled at myself the way I was. Horrible!
Old 03-16-2011, 04:28 PM   #17 
nmaybyte

Something that I don't understand is when I'll test my water that I've primed and such and I still get a .25 ppm for Ammonia. This is the water I've PRIMED. So...wtc is up with that. Apparently it's not detoxifying all of the water.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:29 PM   #18 
nmaybyte

I'd hate to see what's in what I drink. O.o' I might need to start buying the spring water gallons and then creating a sump tank.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:30 PM   #19 
davidbailey

Thanks for the answers. I apologize for being kind of rude earlier. I settled on a 2 gallon aquarium from petco that comes with a side filter.
davidbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 04:34 PM   #20 
iheartmybettas

Quote:
Something that I don't understand is when I'll test my water that I've primed and such and I still get a .25 ppm for Ammonia. This is the water I've PRIMED. So...wtc is up with that. Apparently it's not detoxifying all of the water.
Have you tried adding a little extra? I know that it won't harm the betta if it will take care of the ammonia. Ours tests at 0ppm once treated so I haven't had to deal with it.

Edit: I didn't even think about the fact we have a filtration system on our whole house so that probably makes a big difference.

Last edited by iheartmybettas; 03-16-2011 at 04:37 PM.