Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-16-2011, 03:38 PM   #21 
nmaybyte

What do you mean? Like adding a little more than what it calls for? I can try that......I'm sure anything at or below .2 is okay. Or, at least it was for us back in the day.
nmaybyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 03:41 PM   #22 
iheartmybettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmaybyte View Post
What do you mean? Like adding a little more than what it calls for? I can try that......I'm sure anything at or below .2 is okay. Or, at least it was for us back in the day.
Yeah just add an extra drop or 2. It really should be fine even if you don't but might mean more water changing. I can't say for sure though.
iheartmybettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 03:41 PM   #23 
scootshoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbailey View Post
Okay, I don't want to sound rude or not caring. But I keep my bettas in small unfiltered tanks without changing the water for a few weeks. One time, and I know this is bad, I didn't change the water for months(PLEASE DON'T FREAK OUT AT THAT). My fish are very active and happy. All I'm trying to say is that water changes really only have to be done every few weeks...
It's your fish you the owner you are gonna do what you gonna do. But really, regardless of your perceived fishes health, why do you only change water only after a few weeks? It takes me less then 10 minutes to do a 50pct siphon and replenishment on my 5. Too busy schedule?
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 03:56 PM   #24 
davidbailey

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootshoot View Post
It's your fish you the owner you are gonna do what you gonna do. But really, regardless of your perceived fishes health, why do you only change water only after a few weeks? It takes me less then 10 minutes to do a 50pct siphon and replenishment on my 5. Too busy schedule?

Well partly has to do with the fact that I only recently found out that I can just buy water conditioner and use it in tap water instead paying to buy spring water. I'll probably start doing water changes more often since I plan on buying water conditioner tomorrow.
davidbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 04:00 PM   #25 
scootshoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbailey View Post
Well partly has to do with the fact that I only recently found out that I can just buy water conditioner and use it in tap water instead paying to buy spring water. I'll probably start doing water changes more often since I plan on buying water conditioner tomorrow.
Nice. I probably overlooked your past discussion on conditioner. I assume you are gonna go with PRIME?
Old 03-16-2011, 04:02 PM   #26 
davidbailey

Is that the best option? If so, then probably!
davidbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 04:06 PM   #27 
scootshoot

For bang for the buck yes. Some conditioners I read on the back label tells the owner to count out 10 or more drops per half gallon water which is crazy. PRIME is concentrated, 2 drops per 1 gallon of water is all that's needed and will last you a long time.

Also dismiss the more expensive brands with fancy marketing labels like "laced with Aloe vera" or other garbage. PRIME is the only way to go.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:18 PM   #28 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmaybyte View Post
Something that I don't understand is when I'll test my water that I've primed and such and I still get a .25 ppm for Ammonia. This is the water I've PRIMED. So...wtc is up with that. Apparently it's not detoxifying all of the water.
Some dechlorinators that bind with ammonia changes it to ammonium that is fish safe and can still be used by both live plants and nitrifying bacteria to establish the nitrogen cycle...the testing products can't tell the difference between the two.....you can usually go to the web-site of the dechlorinator you use and it will give you this information and suggested testing products that are compatible.....watch the fish and the fish will usually tell you which it is....either ammonia or ammonium.......

Also, test your source water as well to rule that out as the reason for the ammonia reading....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 05:39 PM   #29 
nmaybyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Some dechlorinators that bind with ammonia changes it to ammonium that is fish safe and can still be used by both live plants and nitrifying bacteria to establish the nitrogen cycle...the testing products can't tell the difference between the two.....you can usually go to the web-site of the dechlorinator you use and it will give you this information and suggested testing products that are compatible.....watch the fish and the fish will usually tell you which it is....either ammonia or ammonium.......

Also, test your source water as well to rule that out as the reason for the ammonia reading....
You know...being a biology minor I should have realized that. Idk what I was thinking. Thank you for the clarification. :)
nmaybyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 10:28 AM   #30 
denaliwind

A 1-3 gal tank without filter needs a 100% per week with a 50% change in between.

...I commented a little late, oops! XD
Good luck with your fish. :)

Last edited by denaliwind; 03-17-2011 at 10:31 AM.
denaliwind is offline   Reply With Quote