Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-16-2011, 09:14 PM   #1 
xkatieebby

Exclamation Quick question on tanks, advice please?

Hey everyone, sorry to keep asking questions but you're all so very helpful. I had a question about this fish tank I want to get.

I went by petco to get prices on a 10 gallon fish tank. I wanted to divide it up and put three different sections in it for three different bettas. Well it ended up being like 65 dollars for the kit. The petco gentleman nicely pointed out a 20 gallon tank that is on sale this week until Sunday for 50. I wanted to know if this is a good kit, maybe I could even divide it into 4 sections.

It's an aqueon brand tank. It comes with a filter, heater and thermometer, lid and light, as well as conditioner for the first time set up. You think this is a good idea and I should get it? Is the filter/heater and everything good?
xkatieebby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 09:22 PM   #2 
xkatieebby

Or do you think maybe its to deep?
Old 03-16-2011, 09:42 PM   #3 
bahamut285

I think it depends on if you have somewhere to support it. A 20Gal will weigh a LOT more than a 10Gal and it's obviously a lot bigger, physically.

If you find it is too deep (I assume you mean water wise), you could probably just fill it up a little less. A lot of users on this forum like having tanks only half-filled or 3/4 filled :)

If I could, I would probably get a 20 Gal, split it in half and have awesome tankmates in both enormous sections. OR I would split it into 4 and just have males in the sections :D

If you get the 10 Gal you can either have your betta + awesome tankmates, or split it in two to have 2 males :)

It is definitely up to you to decide, all we demand from you is pictures XD!
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 09:52 PM   #4 
xkatieebby

I just couldn't believe the price difference. Couldn't I put it on my dresser?
And I just mean the sections would be taller than the would be widder.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:52 PM   #5 
bahamut285

I assume this is the kit? http://thegardenpet.com/index.php?ma...roducts_id=341

It looks pretty nice to me, I would probably get it if I had the room, $15 cheaper for a tank twice the size? yes plz

The heater is great, if it really is 100W, I believe 100W heats up to about 40Gal (where I live anyway) so if you ever need to upgrade to a 40 Gal, you don't have to buy another heater. It also doesn't appear to be overpowered, somebody please correct me if I'm wrong!

Not too sure about the filter, Betta's like water with low flow (some people's love to play in the current though!), so if you think the filter is a little too strong, or your betta is having a tough time swimming past it, there is a guide on the forum to teach you how to correct it: "DIY Filter Baffle": http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=30139
Old 03-16-2011, 09:56 PM   #6 
xkatieebby

Yes that's the tank!
The guy at the fish store actually opened the box for me to let me look at it.
It's nice and rectangular it's just a little bit tall.

When I asked the guy about building my own tank he actually recommended the aqueon filter as it's quieter and a lesser flow but still works really well.
He was telling me about the fish tanks he had at home and the different setups they were.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:57 PM   #7 
bahamut285

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkatieebby View Post
I just couldn't believe the price difference. Couldn't I put it on my dresser?
And I just mean the sections would be taller than the would be widder.
Will it fit on your dresser? I'm not really sure if that's a good idea unless your dresser is VERY stable. I think 20Gal weighs around...200 pounds?

And yes the sections would be taller rather than wider. Like I mentioned above, you could just not fill it all the way to the top. According to the specs, it says its 17" high. It's up to your discretion, I know some people who like to keep their water levels at no higher than 12", and others don't really mind.

But yes...for that price, it's unbelievable O_O
Old 03-16-2011, 10:03 PM   #8 
xkatieebby

I have just an ikea dresser, nothing special. The guy said it shouldn't be a problem.

But thanks for your advice!
Old 03-16-2011, 10:06 PM   #9 
bahamut285

Oh god IKEA, my only weakness X_X <33333

You're welcome~ I hope we can get a picture spam thread of your handsome boy soon! XD
Old 03-17-2011, 08:01 AM   #10 
xkatieebby

Yeah I'll have to do that soon.
This is what I have of him now, it was when I had him in his temp tank.