Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-17-2011, 07:00 AM   #1 
BlackberryBetta

Exclamation Little white dots?

I just woke up this morning and my betta had little white dots on her. It looked like dust. I only noticed it when I was feeding her this morning and she is acting fine and eating. I am going to do a water change today and see if they just fall off. Should I be worried? Sorry that I don't have any pics, even if I did, you probably wouldnt see the spots. My camera is hard to work....

Housing What size is your tank? 2g
What temperature is your tank? room temperature (have a warm house)
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? yes
Is your tank heated? no
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Mystery Snail

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Aqueon Betta food, freeze dried bloodworms,tetra tropical flakes.
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 times a day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Every saturday
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Top fin betta water conditioner, a teeny drop of stress coat+ per 1 gallon.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
Haven't tested it....
Ammonia: N/A
Nitrite: N/A
Nitrate: N/A
pH: N/A
Hardness: N/A
Alkalinity: N/A

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Little white dots on her back, looks like dust.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Hasn't changed at all
When did you start noticing the symptoms? This morning when I was feeding her (March 17th 2011)
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Haven't yet, not sure how to....
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No, just took a fall from her bowl once during a cleaning once and was in QT but recovered.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Not sure....I got her sometime in Decmber after Christmas.

Thanks everyone!
BlackberryBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 07:12 AM   #2 
BlackberryBetta

Could it be the starting of ich? I have ich medication so should I start that? Oh ya, and I was looking at a betta illness website and it was talking about ich but wennt back and forth from calling it ich and calling it ick. Are they the same thing? I guess so. I found this on a website is this true?

"Ich is a protozoan parasite found on the majority of the freshwater fish. It emerges as small white dots or stains on the beta fish's fins and body, which may seem to be like white grains of sugar. Eruptions mostly happen when the water temperature drops less than 80 degrees F.
Betta Fish Care and Treatment: Raise the water temperature to the mid to higher 80s degree F. Salt baths are very helpful against Ich. Adding common table salt (sodium chloride) to the water can lend a hand in reducing disease. Add one teaspoon per gallon as a pre-emptive measure. Medicines containing Malachite green or Methylene blue, continued at a time gap of 2 days are also helpful."

Really? TABLE SALT? I thought we weren't supposed to add that.... I think I found whats going on by myself. So how should I treat it?

Last edited by BlackberryBetta; 03-17-2011 at 07:19 AM.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:49 AM   #3 
denaliwind

When you said it looks like dust my first thought was velvet, although ich can certainly look like dust too, just larger particles. How does it compare with that picture I linked? A picture of your own guy would be really helpful.
Velvet and ich is often correlated with unstable water temperatures and poor water quality. Throw in a 50% water change in the middle of your week. Also, get a heater and a thermometer (those will hopefully prevent ich and velvet from happening again in the future). How warm is your room, I think it would have to be at least 80 or higher for the water temperature to be an appropriate temp for the bettas.

You said she isn't showing any other symptoms? With ich you would see scratching/rubbing herself on things in the tank, frantically darting around the tank and/or labored breathing. But I don't know if those symptoms only show in more advanced stages.

Last edited by denaliwind; 03-17-2011 at 11:04 AM.
denaliwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 11:02 AM   #4 
fishman12

I think it's ICH, though a picture would be helpful. If, in fact, it is Ich, an Epsom salt bath (daily) would be help ful.
Put him in a small QT tank and add 1 tsp a gallon for 3 days. Then put in 2tsp per gallon. As soon as it clears up, he can go back in the tank. I'm not totally sure that is correct, maybe copy this reply and paste it in a pm to OFL to ask her if I'm correct would be a good idea.
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 11:07 AM   #5 
denaliwind

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishman12 View Post
Put him in a small QT tank and add 1 tsp a gallon for 3 days. Then put in 2tsp per gallon. As soon as it clears up, he can go back in the tank. I'm not totally sure that is correct, maybe copy this reply and paste it in a pm to OFL to ask her if I'm correct would be a good idea.
In addition, I suggest a heater for treatment of either velvet or ich, which you said you don't have. The QT should then be floated in your current tank, with a heater. 80 - 82 degrees is recommended. You'll have to keep a close eye on the water parameters and temp, keeping everything stable is really important in recovery and preventing it from happening again.

Last edited by denaliwind; 03-17-2011 at 11:22 AM.
denaliwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 03:08 PM   #6 
BlackberryBetta

Ok well they mysteriously dissappeared! Anyways, I will do a water change and keep and eye on her....