Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-16-2011, 08:32 PM   #1 
bahamut285

New Tank set up questions

Hey everyone,

Instead of going out to buy another 5G to get another Betta, I've decided to clean and set up my old 2.5Gal, and I have a couple questions regarding decorations and such.

1. I'm planning on purchasing dried bamboo sticks--like the ones they sell in the garden centre to hold up plants--and cutting them to fit inside the tank + hood. I know they'll probably float, so is it possible to water-log them? or will it just rot? (or any ideas? XD)

2. What type of stuff should I use for the bottom if the bamboo is A-OK? Sand? Gravel? I was leaning towards sand since I've never had sand before, and it looks really nice in a lot of people's tanks. However, if the bamboo won't stand up properly in sand, then I'll probably go back to gravel. I'll also ask around my LPS if they have any ideas (*desperate*)

3. In case the bamboo wasn't okay, I bought some plants because they were on sale. They're kind of...fabric-like but the veins and stems are plastic, it's got no metal in it, it's just glued on I assume, are these okay?

4. Are there any small, low maintenance, easy to obtain, floating plants I could get? I see a lot of frogbit and I also saw baby's tears on another forum, but I'm not sure if they're easy to care for. Are there any advantages/disadvantages to having floating plants?

Sorry for the mass of questions, I want my new girl to be happy in her tank >_<
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 01:38 AM   #2 
bahamut285

bump? T.T
Old 03-17-2011, 02:48 AM   #3 
MoePaac

I'm not sure about the bamboo. I would think it would float, but I'm really not sure. The problem is bamboo is hollow... not sure if it will water log or not.

Frogbit is easy to care for. As long as you have good light source you'll be ok. Water lettuce and duckweed are also good options.

As far as substrate, if the bamboo won't stay down on it's own I don't think sand or gravel will matter much. If you want sand, go for it, but then be aware you may need the help of (larger) rocks to help hold the bamboo down if it does stay buoyant.
MoePaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 02:52 AM   #4 
MoePaac

I googled dried bamboo in aquariums and it yielded many results. Try that as well.
MoePaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 03:25 AM   #5 
Abby

I have riccia in my tanks its a floating plant it makes a terrible mess lol
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 08:08 AM   #6 
xkatieebby

I always use marble type rocks in the bottom of my tank, I like the way they look better, and they do a good job of holding anything down. My boy also likes them as well as sometimes late at night he'll kick one up or he scoots them around lol. It's rather quite cute.

I also have a live plant in my tank, I'm not sure what it is though, I just picked it up and bought it, never really looked at it. It's a lovely little plant though, and my beta likes to swim through it. It stays well underneath the gravel.

But on the same end my beta also likes his fake plant that's in there just the same.
xkatieebby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 09:59 AM   #7 
Canuck Fins

Just a question, but in a 2.5G which will need more frequent water changes, won't sand make those changes more work?
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 01:50 PM   #8 
bahamut285

Moepaac: Thanks for the google search! I tried to look under similar parameters but a lot of people also have no idea about it hehe

Canuck Fins:Point taken, I also found a thread somewhere else that sand is pretty messy, looks like I'm just going to stick to gravel XD

Katie & Abby: I just realized that the silk plants I bought the other day pretty much fill up my whole tank to the point which I think I have to take one out XD

Thanks for all your help guys, looks like I'm going to get some gravel (I'll try a natural tank this time) and just arrange my silk plants nicely :)

Oh and thanks for all the info too :D!
Old 03-17-2011, 04:43 PM   #9 
Canuck Fins

I hope you share some photos when you get everything set up. :)
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote