Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-18-2011, 03:20 PM   #11 
iheartmybettas

I have the Petsmart version but it truly is see thru so you have to have bettas that aren't going to mind being able to see each other. I didn't even realize how see through it was until I turned the tank light out a couple of nights ago and the living room light was still on. I could clearly see Hornet through Jack Black's side of the tank. When the lights are on in the tank it isn't as bad.
iheartmybettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 03:24 PM   #12 
ChelseaK

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/d...ividers-21866/

This is what I did. And as someone said before, make sure to use sealant! I had a bad experience relying on gravel to hold it in place.
ChelseaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 04:06 PM   #13 
laughing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelseaK View Post
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/d...ividers-21866/

This is what I did. And as someone said before, make sure to use sealant! I had a bad experience relying on gravel to hold it in place.
That's amazing! Exactly what I was looking for! I think I might use something that will hold it nicely, but not "permanent" because this isn't going to be their forever home, just something temporary. I would like to use this tank for something else later on.

Does anyone know of anything like that, something that won't be toxic? Do you think I could just buy those sticky things, like the putty stuff??

Thank you everyone else as well, you're all giving me some great ideas and things to think about!
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 06:39 PM   #14 
PewPewPew

The sealant isnt permanent, trust me XD You can easily remove it by scraping it off with a sharp knife. I did because my DIY failed 4 times (Which is why Im hesitant to suggest..) and it came off fine.

You need aquarium sealant for it, I dont think putties, etc are a great idea.

AND LOL I found that link, too! That's the "burying" method, my bf used it and it works okay, but still a little wobblier than we'd like.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 06:48 PM   #15 
laughing

If sealant really is easy to remove (well not "easy" but REMOVABLE) then there is some aquarium sealant at my local PetSmart for like $7.

I think I'm going with the DIY, my tank is hexagonal, so the store bought ones don't divide evenly at all! :/ And once you cut it, it's gone!

I might not use any sealant at first, when I'm around and monitoring, because if the males aren't aggressive it'll work out great. (I'm using gravel or river rock as substrate for that tank.) But if I notice they have aggressive behavior the sealant is readily available and I'll dry out the tank and keep them in large bowls until it seals dry.

Good plan?! :D
Old 03-18-2011, 07:08 PM   #16 
PewPewPew

Is it a marineland hex? I have one, and thats why mine failed! It narrows at the base.

The tank is much larger in that regard and the common prefab screens dont fit, but you can replace them with that cheap plastic mesh stuff in whatever color you want ;D I like that the best, its also not as scary as the one-time cut thing!

GET LIKE 4 PIECES! XD LOLOLOL Youre gonna want it in that kind of tank, trust me! :P Oh, and its good to double them up to avoid the fish being able to see eachother.

Btw- sealant needs a tank that has been emptied and dried for a few days, cleaned with rubbing alcohol (if used) and needs to set for two days and cleaned after. Just as a warning if you have fishies in there already :B
Old 03-18-2011, 07:25 PM   #17 
laughing

Noo i don't have fishies in there! So I should probably do this BEFORE I get them! haha!

That doubling up is a really good idea, I have no idea what my future betta's personalities will be or if they totally despise one another!

I had two males lined up, all ready to get, but unfortunately I don't have a debit card or even any kind of bank card to pay over paypal or do a transaction >:[ So I will be buying in a couple months when I have my own card all set up! I have plenty of time for this!

I'll go look into this next week, does Office Max or something have those report bindings? I've seen things similar to them at WalMart.
Old 03-18-2011, 07:57 PM   #18 
PewPewPew

Most do..They often come in (cheapish) packs with clear report covers, as well. Sometimes you can only get those.

And good to hear :D Its best to test it and not have any boys waiting for it, in case it fails. (my story ;^;)
Old 03-18-2011, 08:21 PM   #19 
laughing

Haha! Yes, that would be a difficult thing to manage! I'd rather just do it, because it can come off, so who cares, right? ;) I'd rather have a sturdy setting then watch my two gorgeous babies fighting to the death!

I will most likely have their own tanks before then, so we'll see if I even have to do this!