Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-18-2011, 11:07 PM   #21 
Luimeril

betta fix will burn his labyrinth organ. that's why almost no one uses it. i'm sure it has meds in it, that will help him out, but it also has chemicals in it, that will damage his labyrinth organ. honestly, why even ask our advice, if you're going to do the opposite of what we're suggesting. i, for one, know alot about fin issues in bettas. true, i'm no expert, but i know enough to help out. i've cured severe fin rot, with just Indian Almond Leaves, aquarium salt, and frequent water changes. i've prevented fin rot in two of my own, by doing the same thing. i suggest, removing him from the bowl, and treating it the way we suggested.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 11:14 PM   #22 
bettafreak33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luimeril View Post
betta fix will burn his labyrinth organ. that's why almost no one uses it. i'm sure it has meds in it, that will help him out, but it also has chemicals in it, that will damage his labyrinth organ. honestly, why even ask our advice, if you're going to do the opposite of what we're suggesting. i, for one, know alot about fin issues in bettas. true, i'm no expert, but i know enough to help out. i've cured severe fin rot, with just Indian Almond Leaves, aquarium salt, and frequent water changes. i've prevented fin rot in two of my own, by doing the same thing. i suggest, removing him from the bowl, and treating it the way we suggested.
I've checked his breathing and he is doing fine.If I notice any heavy delayed breathing I will take him out immediately. I'm changing all my 1 and 1.5 gallon tanks right now.And if anyone is going to say something rude or mean,will be added to my ignore list like someone alredy has.
bettafreak33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 11:23 PM   #23 
Emmalea

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettafreak33 View Post
I've checked his breathing and he is doing fine.If I notice any heavy delayed breathing I will take him out immediately. I'm changing all my 1 and 1.5 gallon tanks right now.And if anyone is going to say something rude or mean,will be added to my ignore list like someone alredy has.
You won't be able to see any breathing issues until the damage is already done, thats why people don't use it.

We aren't trying to be rude, we are trying to help your fish.
But you refuse to take good advice that you are given and instead just do what you want because it is the easy thing to do.
It makes me wonder why you even bother to post asking for help.
Emmalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 11:27 PM   #24 
bettafreak33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmalea View Post
You know what? Some times you need to put your pets needs before your own. You may be stressed out from school, but think about the ammonia in your tank stressing out your fish and making him ill.

When you get a pet you are making a commitment to care for it and keep it healthy and happy. I'm sorry but you haven't been doing this, your fish is sick because of you and now it's up to you to help him get better.

You said you re getting a puppy? do you know how much work they are? It will make your fish seem like a piece of cake.

I know you are young and I know school can be tough but it's still not an excuse.
So a FISH is more important than education?Ha,ha,ha it's funny how that's so wrong.Don't get me wrong I love my fish,but education is more important.Yes I am getting a puppy,and I know how tough they can be,but at least I don't have to clean its pen EVERY day.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:29 PM   #25 
bettafreak33

Quote:
You won't be able to see any breathing issues until the damage is already done, thats why people don't use it.

We aren't trying to be rude, we are trying to help your fish.
But you refuse to take good advice that you are given and instead just do what you want because it is the easy thing to do.
It makes me wonder why you even bother to post asking for help.
I "refused" to listen to it because I asked my parents about it and they said go ahead and use it.(my dad is a VERY,VERY,VERY experienced fish owner)
Old 03-18-2011, 11:43 PM   #26 
Emmalea

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettafreak33 View Post
So a FISH is more important than education?Ha,ha,ha it's funny how that's so wrong.Don't get me wrong I love my fish,but education is more important.Yes I am getting a puppy,and I know how tough they can be,but at least I don't have to clean its pen EVERY day.
I don't think your education will suffer to much over the 10 minutes it will take to clean your tanks, I also think that yes your fish should come first.
But if you really feel that with your school work you don't have time to take proper care of your fish then you might want to think about finding him a new home.

You will need to clean up after your puppy all the time, accidents in the house, plus you will need to take it outside about once an hour to house train it.

I have a really hard time believing that your dad is a fish expert.
If he was then why ask on here for advice? And if he really knew that much he would have told you to change you water everyday as needed.
He also wouldn't have recommend that you use the bettafix when its a known fact that it is not good for bettas.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:50 PM   #27 
bettafreak33

Quote:
I don't think your education will suffer to much over the 10 minutes it will take to clean your tanks, I also think that yes your fish should come first.
But if you really feel that with your school work you don't have time to take proper care of your fish then you might want to think about finding him a new home.

You will need to clean up after your puppy all the time, accidents in the house, plus you will need to take it outside about once an hour to house train it.

I have a really hard time believing that your dad is a fish expert.
If he was then why ask on here for advice? And if he really knew that much he would have told you to change you water everyday as needed.
He also wouldn't ave recommend that you use the bettafix when its a known fact that it is not good for bettas.
Education is more important.It's not just school it's also baseball practices 3 times a week 2hours(or more)each time.
The puppy will not be inside.She will be in a fairly large pen whre she can freely go to the restroom.My dad knows ALOT about fish did I say he was an EXPERT?No.I asked him AFTER I started this thread.Did I say he is a BETTA "expert"?No.You don't know me.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:54 PM   #28 
Luimeril

bettas are different than most fish are. they're MUCH different. while some meds will work fine for most fish, they will act very differently on bettas. bettafix is something that will harm bettas. with infrequent water changes, the chemicals cause a film to form on the top of the water, which, when the betta breaths in air from the surface, will burn their labyrinth organ, damaging it beyond repair. it won't happen over night, but will happen eventually.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 11:56 PM   #29 
bettafreak33

He knows alot about bettas too.My very first betta was in a 5 gallon.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:59 PM   #30 
Emmalea

Well then maybe you should choose between baseball and fish keeping since you clearly don't have time for both.

You shouldn't keep your puppy outside, they need to be with their people of they will have major issues when they grow up.

If your dad doesn't know much about bettas then he shouldn't be giving you advice on medicating them.