Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-18-2011, 11:48 PM   #21 
TheCrysCat

Yeah, I figured it's not that big of a deal, but I just do it anyway :P Your bettas are so lucky to have a momma that cares :)
TheCrysCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 12:12 AM   #22 
Abby

a mommah that cares and is going to set up a barrack for them SOON
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 12:14 AM   #23 
TheCrysCat

Cool! How big are the barracks?
Old 03-19-2011, 12:18 AM   #24 
Abby

dunno yet but i am going to be buying a large shelf system (needs to be pretty big as its replacing my book case and ill need t also store my books on the high and low shelves but i need to put in maybe four more tanks plus room for equipment and chemicals and stuff
Old 03-19-2011, 12:21 AM   #25 
TheCrysCat

That's awesome :D new furniture is always coolness on a stick. My desk has a similar setup; bettas on the top shelf and foodies and things like that in a drawer. Lots of clutter in between xD
Old 03-19-2011, 12:25 AM   #26 
Abby

Lol
Old 03-19-2011, 01:07 AM   #27 
19wEEdmAstEr25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby View Post
Im sorry but it needs to be stated.
A) one gal is TOO small for ONE fish
B) Dont breed until ALL fish ARE 100% recovered from their fins being torn, technically they are still in recovery until all their fins are regrown and such.
C) DONT breed till you can house up to 300 or more fish in more then one gal tanks.
D) Dont breed until you have A- food for fry B- healthy fish C- splenty of room and time to care for all the tanks, D- can you rehome all the fry? pet stores wont take them until they are 6 months old and mature can you house males in their own tanks this long AND maintain the tanks?

and make sure you have read and read and reread all the info you can on breeding and raising fry.
As I have indicated before, most of these fishes are quite young and the oldest of 'em all (I'm sure none of them have reached the 1 year mark) the bi-color veil tail male, is roughly 1 inch in length. According to the old aquarium to fish golden rule, 1 inch of fish per 1 gallon of aquarium volume. The exact dimensions of the square tank is 6x6x8, calculated that's 1.2 gal if filled to the brim, which we don't. I think, as per their current size, 1 gal is not bountiful space but it is satisfactory. If they grow more than 1.5 inches in length, I most definitely would upgrade my tanks.

I've done a week of intensive research before I had my first spawning session. I use a 5 gal clear container and have prepared numerous small 1/2 gallon tanks in order to separate males My first failure came when I wasn't able to remove the male in time. Few of the fry went free swimming in the morning, I didn't remove him yet. I guess, they all swam horizontal during the evening and the male ate all of them when I was asleep. Second failure, another attempt 3 weeks later, came when the fries (less than 10 days), although fed regularly with drops of infusoria, had difficulty breaking through the film on the surface of the water. They all perished again. Now, I got hold of a weak air pump to facilitate against that scenario. No need for a heater because I'm in a tropical country and now just a month away from the summer season.

Thanks! I appreciate your honesty, all your statements are noted.
19wEEdmAstEr25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 01:10 AM   #28 
TheCrysCat

Thank you for being so respectful! Some people get really offended when they're given constructive criticism, which is a shame.
Old 03-19-2011, 01:22 AM   #29 
19wEEdmAstEr25

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrysCat View Post
Yeah, I don't want to get them stressed out... I mean, people have divided tanks, so it can't make THAT much of an effect, but for me better safe than sorry.
I used cardboard because it's durable and I even added a little bit of wood adhesive (works well also with paper products) at the sides and edges to make them stiff.

I usually remove the divisions 2 hours after being fed for 30 min to make them flare and facilitate pooping. Anyway, that's what I do to prevent them being bloated.
19wEEdmAstEr25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 01:29 AM   #30 
Abby

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19wEEdmAstEr25 View Post
As I have indicated before, most of these fishes are quite young and the oldest of 'em all (I'm sure none of them have reached the 1 year mark) the bi-color veil tail male, is roughly 1 inch in length. According to the old aquarium to fish golden rule, 1 inch of fish per 1 gallon of aquarium volume. The exact dimensions of the square tank is 6x6x8, calculated that's 1.2 gal if filled to the brim, which we don't. I think, as per their current size, 1 gal is not bountiful space but it is satisfactory. If they grow more than 1.5 inches in length, I most definitely would upgrade my tanks.

I've done a week of intensive research before I had my first spawning session. I use a 5 gal clear container and have prepared numerous small 1/2 gallon tanks in order to separate males My first failure came when I wasn't able to remove the male in time. Few of the fry went free swimming in the morning, I didn't remove him yet. I guess, they all swam horizontal during the evening and the male ate all of them when I was asleep. Second failure, another attempt 3 weeks later, came when the fries (less than 10 days), although fed regularly with drops of infusoria, had difficulty breaking through the film on the surface of the water. They all perished again. Now, I got hold of a weak air pump to facilitate against that scenario. No need for a heater because I'm in a tropical country and now just a month away from the summer season.

Thanks! I appreciate your honesty, all your statements are noted.

rule of thumb around here is 2 gal my 5 gal has 3 and the other will have 4 ladies but thats only because they are all from one spawn and never had issues
Your telling me you have at least one hundred seperate containers for your males.
yeah its a very much need to watch thing so you get Daddy out at the right time.
I am desperate to try my hand at spawning but need to wait till i have my shelving set up for more room and ive spoken to local store to rehome the fish