Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-19-2011, 12:54 AM   #1 
JD3P

Quick question about tank temp

I switched out my female betta from her 10gallon unheated tank to a 1/2 gallon. I put her in the small bowl with the same temp water as before 70F and than put in a hydor heater 7w. Over the course of 4 hours the temperature has risen to 80F which is what I always keep my other betta at in his tank. She's acting kind of lethargic and I'm a little worried it might have put her in shock. Is what I did okay? I assumed it was technically the same as floating a fish in a ziplock until the water reached the same temp as the tank. Anyway, I'm going to keep an eye on it and make sure the temperature doesn't get higher. But do you think she will be okay like this? I'm currently waiting for her 6 gallon to cycle, that's why I switched her out and I figured the heater would be more effective in the smaller bowl.
JD3P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 12:57 AM   #2 
Abby

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD3P View Post
I switched out my female betta from her 10gallon unheated tank to a 1/2 gallon. I put her in the small bowl with the same temp water as before 70F and than put in a hydor heater 7w. Over the course of 4 hours the temperature has risen to 80F which is what I always keep my other betta at in his tank. She's acting kind of lethargic and I'm a little worried it might have put her in shock. Is what I did okay? I assumed it was technically the same as floating a fish in a ziplock until the water reached the same temp as the tank. Anyway, I'm going to keep an eye on it and make sure the temperature doesn't get higher. But do you think she will be okay like this? I'm currently waiting for her 6 gallon to cycle, that's why I switched her out and I figured the heater would be more effective in the smaller bowl.

If shes normally at 70 f and now at 80f thats a rather big leap. did u cup or bag her out of the tank and float her in the 1/2 gal or net her straight into the 1/2 gal?
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 01:01 AM   #3 
JD3P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby View Post
If shes normally at 70 f and now at 80f thats a rather big leap. did u cup or bag her out of the tank and float her in the 1/2 gal or net her straight into the 1/2 gal?
Well I made sure that when I first put her in the 1/2 gallon tank that it was the same exact temperature as the 10gallon, which was at 70F. I then turned on the heater let it warm up to 80F over the course of 4 hours. So it wasn't an instant change or anything.
Old 03-19-2011, 01:03 AM   #4 
Abby

it isnt just the temp its the water quality too she went from one water to another, hence why when you acclimatise them you add water to their cup or bag a little at a time over half hr-hr
Old 03-19-2011, 01:05 AM   #5 
JD3P

Quote:
it isnt just the temp its the water quality too she went from one water to another, hence why when you acclimatise them you add water to their cup or bag a little at a time over half hr-hr
Well the only reason I didn't think the water quality was a problem is because the 10 gallon was unfiltered and I was doing weekly water changes of 100% and she has been fine for a very long time. I figured the fact that it was 100% water change now wouldn't hurt her. I suppose I am wrong.
Old 03-19-2011, 01:09 AM   #6 
CrowntailxKing

Did she immediately start acting funny, or was it over the course of a few days she started acting strange? Plus you gotta think she was used to the 10 gal, and now she's crammed in only 1/2 gal? She's protesting your actions :)
CrowntailxKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 01:14 AM   #7 
JD3P

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowntailxKing View Post
Did she immediately start acting funny, or was it over the course of a few days she started acting strange? Plus you gotta think she was used to the 10 gal, and now she's crammed in only 1/2 gal? She's protesting your actions :)
Well I just put her in there tonight so she's only been in there about four hours now. I just noticed she's kinda sitting at the bottom, not moving as much as she does. Although her color hasn't changed and she did eat. I also figured that the size change was probably not making her happy as well lol. She won't be in there for more than a few days because her bigger tank should be ready. I just don't want her to die overnight or something, when all I'm trying to do it give her a better home.

Last edited by JD3P; 03-19-2011 at 01:16 AM.
Old 03-19-2011, 01:16 AM   #8 
Abby

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD3P View Post
Well I just put her in there tonight so she's only been in there about four hours now. I just noticed she's kinda sitting at the bottom. I also figured that the size change was probably not making her happy as well lol. She won't be in there for more than a few days because her bigger tank should be ready. I just don't want her to die overnight or something when all I'm trying to do it give her a better home.
she could just be resettling she may think she should stay low until shes sure theres no danger. has she eaten in there yet?
Old 03-19-2011, 01:17 AM   #9 
JD3P

Quote:
she could just be resettling she may think she should stay low until shes sure theres no danger. has she eaten in there yet?
Yup got her to eat a pellet and bloodworm.
Old 03-19-2011, 01:19 AM   #10 
Abby

let her settle and observe her