Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-18-2011, 05:39 PM   #11 
Thunderloon

do you know what the sex of the fry are yet?

Keep in mind that the aqueon kits aren't the only option.

Penn-Plax cascade 50 watt heaters are about $15.00 each, ten gallon aquariums without hoods are usually $12 to $15 each, walmart carries aqua-tech (100gph) filters for about $10.00 (or get marineland 100b from big als) and glass lids are usually $15.00 each.

Cheap desk lamps are everywhere for seven or eight bucks.

So a U-Doot tank with a garunteed better filter is $55 to $60 each plus lighting (which can even be a $9.00 two tube fluorescent)

I rate aqueon filters just above waving a sponge in the tank for ten minutes a day. The guy at the store will ALWAYS tell you what he has is good and that he uses them all the time. Aqueon are reliable but they're really not great.

Check at goodwill/salvation army, check at a local fish store instead of "petplace" stores, likely is someone will have what you need sitting around much cheaper.

I can get tanks called "15R" from my LFS for about $32.00 each, they're fifteen gallon tanks that use a standard type lid and have tons of wonderful room for live plants and swimming space.

Until the fry fill out I'd honestly advise classic goldfish bowls and the regular water changes instead of setting up for them. Its work to do water changes but they'll be uncramped and happy.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 10:52 AM   #12 
hannah16

I think what I want to do is get the $8 1 gallon starter kits for my new fish to start, but I want to know what's the best way to keep them warm without heaters? Right now, Reds tank is sitting on a classic person heater that turns off every hour, so I get up every hour and a half to turn it back on at night, and during the day if I have to go out, I put it on high & warm his tank with 3-4 shirts, my towel and one of my jackets.. So any advice for heating would be great.
hannah16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 12:51 PM   #13 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannah16 View Post
I think what I want to do is get the $8 1 gallon starter kits for my new fish to start, but I want to know what's the best way to keep them warm without heaters? Right now, Reds tank is sitting on a classic person heater that turns off every hour, so I get up every hour and a half to turn it back on at night, and during the day if I have to go out, I put it on high & warm his tank with 3-4 shirts, my towel and one of my jackets.. So any advice for heating would be great.
I am not sure. One gallon is very small so the temp will fluctuate a lot more. I don't think the fry would handle that. For the fry I definitely think you need heaters to keep the temp at a constant, steady level.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 01:51 PM   #14 
hannah16

Alright, I have $100 - So tell me if this'll work...

I'll get the 10 gallon starter kit and 2 dividers for about $80, It'll have 3 sections, 1 for each baby fry.

Then I'll get a 2nd 1 gallon starter kit and another heater for about $20 for my female CT.

Then, not this coming up week, but the week after I'll get a 2nd 10g starter kit and set up Red & the female crown tail with a divider. I'm hopeing one of the fry is a girl, so I can have a 10g divided for my males, then the other 10g for my females.

I think....that'll work...
Old 03-19-2011, 01:54 PM   #15 
turtle10

That sounds great! So you can have a girl tank and a boy tank :)

Just a little idea:
When you get your final set up you could sort of decorate the tanks areas. Like the girls could have some flowers or a pretty picture up and the boys could have something…boyish. Lol idk I am not a boy so idk what they like!
Old 03-19-2011, 01:57 PM   #16 
hannah16

I look forward to decorating the tanks, but first things first - Everyone has to be comfy before stylish. I'm so happy - I FINALLY have a game plan that I'm not too worried about <3. I hate having to use a 1 gallon for my CT girl, but it'll have to do till she's in her 10g.

Btw- How many females can be in a 10g tank? And how many females in a 20 gallon?
Old 03-19-2011, 02:01 PM   #17 
bettafish15

I think its seven at the VERY most for 10g. Probably more like 10-13 in a 20g. :)
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 02:23 PM   #18 
hannah16

I think I'd like to do 4-5 for my 10g full of females, and then for the 20..maybe 10.. I'd like to get there eventually..

Gah.. I'm so excited <3!
Old 03-19-2011, 03:52 PM   #19 
turtle10

I would do five at the very minimum.
Old 03-19-2011, 05:48 PM   #20 
hannah16

Thanks for your comments everyone. I'll start posting pics when I have it set up, and then I'll take more when I place my babies in their tanks or.. Area >.>..Lol..