Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-19-2011, 09:03 AM   #11 
alwaysnew

I thought that you can only keep 1 betta in each tank and that you can't keep any other fish with your betta is that right?
alwaysnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 09:12 AM   #12 
Cravenne

Not necessarily.

Some Bettas do ok with tankmates as long as there is enough space. Not another Betta, of course, but some types of Tetras, Corycats, shrimp or snails. Or you could divide the tank and put one Betta boy on either side. (this would require at LEAST a 5G tank)

I have the TopFin 10G kit and I really like it. I did switch out the filter that came with it because it didn't have the BioWheel.
Cravenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 10:41 AM   #13 
Lion Mom

If you DO decide to have other fish with your betta (I think Harlequin Rasboras would work nicely), put them in before the betta so the betta doesn't think the entire tank is his territory. :)
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 03:59 PM   #14 
alwaysnew

thanks
alwaysnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 06:52 PM   #15 
Tomsk

You can also get a Betta first.But when you introduce new fish later,take him out then move the deco about and release the new fish first and then put him back in.
This way it seems to him that he has entered a new place and not that there is new fish moving in on his space.Some fish are not good tank mates with Bettas so ask on this forum before buying any.Also if you are thinking of getting some shrimp for the tank (they can be cheap & entertaining tank mates) buy some ghost shrimp first as they are cheap and it's good to see if your Betta doesn't see them as meals on legs before you buy expensive ones

Tomsk
Tomsk is offline   Reply With Quote