Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-18-2011, 09:27 PM   #11 
laughing

I might be interested, one of my snails just died D; so I have one lonesome snail in my 20 gallon! I don't know what snails I want to add, but if you have some good lookin' babies, I would definitely get a couple!
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 09:31 PM   #12 
PewPewPew

Quote:
Originally Posted by laughing View Post
I might be interested, one of my snails just died D; so I have one lonesome snail in my 20 gallon! I don't know what snails I want to add, but if you have some good lookin' babies, I would definitely get a couple!
Cool beans! Ill let you know if I do and when.
Theyre decent looking snails- what I like about them is theyre smaller (than, say, and apple snail(?)), theyre awesome with algae, dont eat live plants, and cant breed unless in brackish water! Woo!

I might try this out... Hmmmm! >.<
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 12:42 AM   #13 
laughing

Well I have my 20 gallon, so if you have a good variety I wouldn't mind buying a couple for that, and soon I will be purchasing another tank (maybe something like 10 gallons) for my future bettas so I'd love to have some for theirs too, just depends on money and such! :D
Old 03-19-2011, 01:34 AM   #14 
Dragonlady

Nerites will lay eggs in freshwater, but they will not turn into baby snails in freshwater. As others have mentioned, they require brackish or saltwater when they are hatching and have very special requirements to aquaculture them. The adults do great in freshwater, but the larva require saltwater.
Dragonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 08:42 AM   #15 
1fish2fish

If your going to seriously breed them I would consider getting the more popular varieties like Zebra nerites. It seems to me that Olives go for next to nothing because they're not as interesting to look at.

I might try breeding Briggs (mystery) snails first.. that would be a little easier since you don't have to deal with the salt water stage. Assassin snails are always good sellers too. My LFS sells assasins for like $4 and I'm actually considering paying that much for one.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 09:34 AM   #16 
Dragonlady

I forgot to mention that nerites have a planktonic stage.
Dragonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 01:30 AM   #17 
laughing

I think I have a 75% chance of buying one from you now!!

I FINALLY FOUND A LSH!!! :D And they have tiger nerite snails, as well as others, and the worker told me a lot about them. I could definitely use an olive ;)
Old 03-20-2011, 01:38 AM   #18 
PewPewPew

I know they require brackish water, etc- please read the posts on the first page. I know, too, about that stage.

I'm not so much looking to make a profit on these guys- I know theyre not as pretty but I do like how small they are and their gentleness to plants. I think I want a couple more for my tank and maybe a few more for my bf's ten gallon, so I figure hmm, if I can get it to work, Ill have what we need and a few left over, so perhaps the forum would like them.

Im not interested in breeding snails, though- only considering it because I already have it and she's such a great addition, I want more of her :P (And assasin snails freak me out, LOLOLOL! But theyre great.)
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote